AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bind here. I am in the process of finishing my HT room, and due to it's smallish size, I tentatively thought I would cut a hole in the wall and house the AV rack in the neighboring laundry room, with the front door of the AV rack in the HT room. Problem is, the other room is a laundry room, and can get kinda noisy is there, and I don't want the sound to trickle through it into the HT room. Secondly, light will shine through my wall in the cracks...and lastly, I don't like the idea of cutting out the wall if I don't have to. If I could house the whole AV rack in the laundry room, and control from the HT room somehow, that would be great. Because it's just a short distance away, I don't feel I need to buy expensive wireless systems for it (Niles etc). Isn't there some sort of remote I can use that will control it on the other side of the wall? any suggestions???

·
Registered
165 Posts
Would you believe I'm doing exactly the same thing?

My wall backs onto a large open closet in the laundry, and I've cut out a 10h x 14w hole between two studs (wish I could go wider..), allowing me to plave the DVD and AVR on a shelf outside the room, directly below where the projector will ceiling mount. The DVD tray will extend into the space between the studs when opened. My plan is to use hidden hinges on a normal picture frame (which contains a family portrait) to cover the hole in the HT room, opening to reveal the componants. (My wife isn't to sure on that part, but I love the whole feel of the setup - kind of like the "switch in the statue" opening the passage to the Bat Poles).

A Universal remote (the standard RS 1994) will run the units. I'll be testing it all out in a couple of days to decide if I need to change the "secret door" material to allow the remote to work when it's closed. I'll switch to smoked glass if necessary, but that's not nearly as much fun.

Kevin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually-

I've just found a solution, something common that I was not aware of. Using RF signals to convert the IR on my remote. This is what I will buy:
http://www.smarthome.com/8220a.html

I'm glad I won't have to run any unnecessary wires for a sensor eye to be mounted in the wall, with all the wires running up to each component sensor, that's bogus.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wesM
Actually-

I've just found a solution, something common that I was not aware of. Using RF signals to convert the IR on my remote. This is what I will buy:
http://www.smarthome.com/8220a.html

I'm glad I won't have to run any unnecessary wires for a sensor eye to be mounted in the wall, with all the wires running up to each component sensor, that's bogus.
It's actually not bogus, and the more common method of doing IR control, using Xantech connector blocks and mini-emitters. The RF method is okay, too, but prone to reliability problems and interference. Can be susceptible to interference from Cell Phones and other RF emitting devices.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand robert.

however, in my mind, having a run of a half dozen wires run up the AV rack and up to the IR sensors and stuck on with sticky tape on each of my components just sounds cumbersome and unnecessary. Having a remote with a receiver just across the wall that controls them all without the wires to me sounds like the way to go. From many posts I've read the RF is very reliable, and since I'm controlling about 5 feet away just the other side of the wall, I don't anticipate any problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.