AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick /forum/post/17047771

why not just use windows remote desktop?

Because the moment he logged into the HTPC from the laptop he would just see a 'log in' screen on the bigger TV. Seems to me he's looking to use the laptop as more of a remote control? He said 'to Control and WATCH TV' at the same time, so RDP wouldn't fly for that.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick /forum/post/17047771

why not just use windows remote desktop?

A couple of times I tried to set up RD, no joy. One time I got it to work, didn't like its user interface.

VNC much simpler to setup and use. Don't know if it's good enuff to watch live TV, but hey, it's free, if it doesn't work, try something else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of using a laptop as a media extender in another room where there is no TV. That would be so good, but from what I have read so far it is not possible. I wonder if there is any software that may act as an extender?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any implementation of VNC (free), or the much more expensive Mainlobby suites.

/thread

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga /forum/post/17054407

What do you mean?

I can watch my media in any instance WMP 7 if streaming is enabled. In MC, I can access any video content as shares. No?

The question I was responding to was: "I wonder if there is any software that may act as an extender?"

No there's not, there's no software you can run on your PC that will act like a Media Center Extender or Client. There is no Softsled.

You can get sorta close by sharing your TV recordings and opening them with another copy of WMC, but you can't control the remote WMC's guide or tuners, schedule recordings, etc.

Though other software does have that capability (SageTV, BeyondTV, etc)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yes, you're right - you can watch everything in the shared library but can't control it. That is until the equivalent of WebGuide becomes available for 7MC.

I guess I have an inherent workaround since I use the HDHomerun - networked tuners than any computer can access. But I still can't tell 7MC to record something remotely.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts