AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two rooms (theater and adjacent playroom) which have discrete displays and switching (theater uses a preamp processor while playroom uses component video matrix switch) but share sources (Xbox, Blu-ray, directtv, appleTV). I would like two RF remotes, one for each room, that would track and share power status on sources. The systems share a common IR repeater system.

Any recommendations? (Other than buy separate sources or leave all sources on all the time)

Does the new Crestron prodigy system support such configuration? Any RTI systems? etc.

Thanks.

db

·
Registered
971 Posts
I dont know what blu-ray player you have but the xbox, apple tv & directv all have discrete ON and OFF commands. If your displays and switchers have discretes then you dont need to try and track anything.

Not sure what you mean by share power status. If your looking to monitor you will need to buy some 3rd party hardware that can monitor voltage and send you feedback for on or standby.

You most likely wont need to go RF as long as the IR repeater system is working well. You just need a remote thats capable of sending macros. URC or Harmony.

Also.. so were clear.. if you hit OFF in one room.. the sources will go OFF even if someone is using them in another room because your OFF macro will usually have OFF for everything. There is no consumer grade product that will use logic to say "if room 1 was turned on dont turn off sources when OFF is pressed in room 2". There are ways to fake this with some lower end professional controllers but you really need to move up to a control system if you want 'smarter' control over things.

Edit: I think i am wrong about Apple TV. It appears to only have a power toggle. Watch this thread for updates. Looks like JasonVP might solve it
. http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...le|tv|discrete

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx - I was looking for the more advanced logic you reference.

Also, could just leave all devices ON all the time (remove power off command in macros).

I have a BDP-1500 blu-ray.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Looks like your blu-ray player may not have discrete power commands.

What happens if you unplug your blu-ray player from power then plug it back up? Does the PLAY command wake it up? Using a switched outlet on an AV receiver can act as a work around for devices like this. There are also 3rd part power and signal sensing products that help 'bullet proof' devices that don't have discrete codes.

The only product i know that will keep track of things properly is Crestron. I cant comment on prodigy because i haven't touched it yet. I am not a Control4 guy and i havent touched AMX since 2001 so i cant comment on them either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Prodigy or Control4 will do the job. One nice aspect of the control4 is that you can get a on-screen navigator to navigate via sources and house control vs prodigy which does not have a on screen display. You would need to get a second controller for your playroom as I would not recommend distributing the navigator output to both rooms.

You would need a hc-300 controller that has 8 ir outputs and a hc-200(for additional on screen display) not necessary if you are fine with controlling 2nd room from led remote.

This set up will track sources on both rooms as long as they have discreet or serial commands.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Logitech Harmony 890 Pro will do what you are looking for. You can have multiple remotes communicate with the RF base unit and they also update each others status to ensure that one remote will not disturb the equipment power status..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts