AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 2 story house with a steam boiler. I need to control heating with downstairs a sensor during the day and a upstairs sensor at night to manage comfort. I can do this with dual programmable thermostats wired in series but the WAF will be low. Is there a advanced thermostat that can switch between sensors, not average? Could I do this with a home automation set up? I also want to automate some lighting so it my be work the extra expense.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I have no idea about this. But wouldn't it be possible to run two sensors wires, and install a simple switch to switch between the two sensors? And then it shouldn't be much of a stretch to automate this or install some sort of timer?

I can't imagine you're the first person to want to do this. In fact, I could see myself wanting to do this sometimes.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat  /t/1520937/control-single-hvac-zone-with-two-temperature-sensors#post_24442538

I have no idea about this. But wouldn't it be possible to run two sensors wires, and install a simple switch to switch between the two sensors? And then it shouldn't be much of a stretch to automate this or install some sort of timer?

I can't imagine you're the first person to want to do this. In fact, I could see myself wanting to do this sometimes.

Yea that might work but if I am going to pay for a new thermostat I would rather it have the functionality built in or just use the money to start a real home automation solution.

It weird I cannot find a good getting started guide on home automation or a good website to purchase stuff. Maybe it because the industry is changing so fast but I cannot find the high quality resources I did when installing my own security system.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have not heard of any thermostats that you can easily switch between sensors. However you may be able to find a thermostat that you can reasonably switch between the internal sensor and the exterior one. It would be just a few clicks on the main thermostat to change the setting. I know the THZ-100 thermostat for the URC Total Control can switch between the two pretty easily. So I'm sure there are others as well.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I suggest you speak to a local HVAC tech first. There might be a simple way to put a manifold, valve or other mechanism on the system to provide you with separate zones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts