AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Gonna build in the near future, and looking at getting Control4 and I'd like to rip my Blu-rays and dvds to a media storage that can be accessed by control 4. I could go with Dune, but I'm worried about cinavia mucking things up in the future. I'm thinking of building a computer with maybe 15-20TB of space, but I don't know what I'd need to interface with control4. Also, what's the difference between dedicated media storage and a regular desktop. Would I need to build just a basic computer, with video card, OS , and such or do I just need a whole slew of drives and Control4 does the rest?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What are you using to play your movies? I use XBMC with control4. But control4 doesn't even see the storage.. that's shared through XBMC directly.. you can add it to control4 to add cover art and such but I don't have that done..

but it works great with no issues.. I just have a home built server..

·
Registered
883 Posts
A 3rd party developer just released a Plex driver for Control4

QNAP has a range of NAS devices with built in XBMC, Control4 integration out of the box (built in drivers) and HDMI output so you can do it all in one box.

look under Media players for more info: http://www.extravegetables.com/catalogue/control4

My Movies is another popular option (also on that website I linked to above) but they just made some distribution/support changes, its still available, but terms have changed a bit so do your research first.

I've never implemented any of these for my home use, I do not do a lot with movies so the costs are not with the implementation for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! The more I learn the more I see I don't know! It started with a little research on soundproofing, and now I can't stop!
Thanks for your help. I wish the guide to DIY HTPC would be re-written as a sticky with the key points so I don't have to read the 7500 posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts