Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

An upgraded Denon 5800 does not have a 12v trigger to connect to an Outlaw amp for the purposes of turning them on at the same time.

Denon dealers tell me that thse 12v triggers are mostly used in custom intallations to operate motorized viewing screens or other things.

Denon also suggests that a macro on the remote handling this and whatever other function such as dvd is the best way to do that.

They also say that the macro could be restricted to soley the receiver and the amp if you wish and that the 12v trigger is a waste for this function.

How do you feel?

Peter M

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermwilson
Denon dealers tell me that thse 12v triggers are mostly used in custom intallations to operate motorized viewing screens or other things.
The Denon dealer is being a little disingenuous (or ignorant) there. The trigger is commonly used to control a separate amp. Perhaps Denon thinks that their output stage is so good that no one would ever use it with a amp?

Quote:
Denon also suggests that a macro on the remote handling this and whatever other function such as dvd is the best way to do that.
Oh yeah? How is that going to work with an amp that doesn't have a IR receiver? :rolleyes:

Quote:
They also say that the macro could be restricted to soley the receiver and the amp if you wish and that the 12v trigger is a waste for this function.

How do you feel?
That someone is full of beans.

There is a solution, though. I think it's Sears that sells a sensing power strip (under the Craftsman brand?). You plug the receiver into the sense outlet, and when it turns on the strip sees it and turns on the other outlets, one of which would resumably have the amp plugged into it. Sorry I can't be more specific about the model, but you should be able to find it.

Many DVDs have a power time-out, so that may not be an issue. Leave yours on overnight and see if it's still on in the morning.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

All excellent points. I'm far from being an expert on this 12v trigger issue so I called Monster who amoung other things sell the types of power bars that you mention as well as a growing product line of Power Amps.

They agree that the 12v trigger can be handy in a relatively pedestrian situation to turn on both units at the same time.

They do however follow both Denon and A/V dealers (some of which are Denon) contention that since the 12v trigger (in A/V receivers) is relatively new and tends to be chosen by custom installers to trigger things like power screens and projectors themselves, that they include a separate transformer with each amplifier which is independant of the power cord that would go to the source of the strongest and cleanest power.

This gives the customer the option of plugging it into an electrical receptical on the processor to take care of turning both on and off at the same time.

Monster itself seems to also be a good power conservation citizen in that it also apparantly turns the amp on when it recognizes a sound source and after 10 minutes of not receiving a source, turns itself off.

As I said I'm not an expert in this regard, perhaps all power amp manufacturers do the same thing.

Thank you for the input.

Peter M.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
12V triggers are not "new". They've been around for quite a while.

Beware Monster. They're experts at selling air. Whatever they have you can get for less elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.