AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so what I'd like to do is use a remote to control a computer through a wireless keyboard reciever.

I just started reading about the Harmony 880 (took the Test drive... Most Impressive) and would probably buy one, but Am curious as to what would be needed to make it control my system.

Possible to make it open/close Theatertek with typical dvd control setup and then be able to have it run say musicmatch Jukebox(browse files, create playlists ect...)

When it comes to the remote side of things I'm lost.

Wouldn't the remote be able to use the ir codes from the keyboard and combine them into macros in order to perform specifc Keystroke Combinations?

Any Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I have my harmony controlling theatertek. Works like a charm.

For the easiest plug and play solution, you'll need two things:

A USB or Serial IR receiver for the PC. I use IRMAN which I bought off of e-bay:

They're $35 at http://www.crystalfontz.com/cgi-bin/...?product=irman

But really, any IR receiver will work...There are even plans to build your own if you search around.

The second thing you'll need is a software package called Girder. It used to be a free download, but like all good things....that came to an end. You now have to buy it from Promixis: http://www.promixis.com/ But for $19.99 its one of the best PC control software packages you'll find. I use it to not only control TheaterTek, but Winamp too with my Harmony.

Once you have your IR receiver connected to your PC and Girder running, you can download a premade Girder file for theatertek from www.theatertek.com . And, on the harmony setup, there is already a DVD player setup for theatertek that you select as your DVD device.

After that, you can control theater tek with the remote, add it to activities or anything else you would do to a hardware device.

Robert

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats awesome... I expected it to be way more complicated than that.

Thanks for the info. I'll definately be looking into this Remote then. :D

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
To answer your original question, yes, you can buy a ~$30 LiteON IR keyboard (models SK7100, 7500 or 7551) on ebay and use any leanring remote to learn the keystrokes for any app or desktop keyboard shortcuts.

IMO, this is the easiest, simplest way to control a media PC, without adding layers of complexity, software, and hardware like Girder and IRman-like devices.

If you buy any of the LiteOn SK7xxx series IR keyboards, you will have an IR interface that can control *everything* on a PC, since every function works with a keyboard and/or mouse. The LiteON SK7xxx IR keyboards simply replace the keyboard andmouse cords with an IR link.

The LiteON SK7xxx IR keyboard/mouse protocol has become the defacto IR transmission standard for keyboard/mouse codes for PC's, given thier LONG history on avsforums.

And you don't need an expensive Harmony type remote to learn ALL the PC functions you'd need, including macros to automate multiple keystrokes or AV system startup/shutdown/input assignments/etc.

A ~$30 full learning remote like the Sony RM-VL900
http://www.remotecentral.com/vl900/

will learn any known IR transmission, including keyboard combos like Shift-xxx or Alt-yyy, or even keystrokes in quick succession, all on one remote button!

The RM-VL900 will learn an IR command on ALL BUTTONS for ALL 8 DEVICES! And it supports 3 dedicated macro buttons, plus a macro under each device button!

I have tried the Pronto's and several JP1 remotes of the world, and all I really want is a hard button remote that can learn anything and support a lot of macros.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb
To answer your original question, yes, you can buy a ~$30 LiteON IR keyboard (models SK7100, 7500 or 7551) on ebay and use any leanring remote to learn the keystrokes for any app or desktop keyboard shortcuts.

IMO, this is the easiest, simplest way to control a media PC, without adding layers of complexity, software, and hardware like Girder and IRman-like devices.....
Gotta disagree somewhat....Within the original parameters of the question, using a harmony with TheaterTek, there's nothing simpler than using the Girder pluggin for TheaterTek ALREADY developed, and the Harmony device TheaterTek ALREADY developed. Nothing to learn. No keystrokes, mouse sequences, nuttin'....All plug and chug. In 10 minutes time or less you can be controlling TT with your Harmony remote.

Sure, if you want to learn all the keystrokes, mouse clicks, and combinations yourself with an IR learning remote to control a PC application, then certainly the solution you outlined accomplishes that. I've tried that route before, and while it works decent for a static application thats on top and always running, when you start doing things like running multiple applications, needing to bring focus to a certain window, starting and stopping applications, etc...It seems to be difficult without the power of Girder, IMHO.

Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.