AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an onkyo 806. I have a energy 5.1 set bi amped in front. fronts are c500's, rears are c50s. I ran auto speaker configuration and went fine but after I was finished I was watching movies and listening to music and OMG the bass was loud. I live in a small apartment and the whole movie I found myself turning it up and down cause I was thinking about the neighbors above and below me.

I have no sub in the system. This forces my front speakers to be full band (help process the lows I guess which do a good job with a 6.5 woofer). After auto setup my fronts said full band, the rears said 60hz znd the center said 40 hz. I don't know much about this stuff but I figure if i raise the hz i could cut out some of the bass. It wouldn't let change the fronts to anything other than full band unless I trick it into thinking I have a subwoofer. So I just told it I had a subwoofer and then changed the front, center, and rear to 80hz which did take away a lot of the bass but it also didnt sound as good.

My questions is what is the proper way to cut bass like this and still keep a nice sound. I have a -10db range that i can cut bass but I think that only refers to the lfe subwoofer channel. I notice that there is a equalizer that lets me cut down certain frequencies by a set amout of db's. I see all these numbers and it confuses the hell out of me. Would adjusting these be the proper way to cut the bass? If so is there a guide that shows what numbers do what to the bass. I guess the low numbers would lower the bass right? Any help you guys could give me would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You could always use the night mode on your receiver. This will make dialog easier to hear while at the same time limiting dynamic peaks. This should reduce the amount of bass while watching movies. You can't raise the x-over for the bass to limit it because you don't have a sub. Your main speakers are running full range, and that is the only choice you have. Your equalizer could also be used to tone down the bass a tad.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawgedogg /forum/post/15584795

I just got an onkyo 806. I have a energy 5.1 set bi amped in front. fronts are c500's, rears are c50s. I ran auto speaker configuration and went fine but after I was finished I was watching movies and listening to music and OMG the bass was loud. I live in a small apartment and the whole movie I found myself turning it up and down cause I was thinking about the neighbors above and below me.

I have no sub in the system. This forces my front speakers to be full band (help process the lows I guess which do a good job with a 6.5 woofer). After auto setup my fronts said full band, the rears said 60hz znd the center said 40 hz. I don't know much about this stuff but I figure if i raise the hz i could cut out some of the bass. It wouldn't let change the fronts to anything other than full band unless I trick it into thinking I have a subwoofer. So I just told it I had a subwoofer and then changed the front, center, and rear to 80hz which did take away a lot of the bass but it also didnt sound as good.

My questions is what is the proper way to cut bass like this and still keep a nice sound. I have a -10db range that i can cut bass but I think that only refers to the lfe subwoofer channel. I notice that there is a equalizer that lets me cut down certain frequencies by a set amout of db's. I see all these numbers and it confuses the hell out of me. Would adjusting these be the proper way to cut the bass? If so is there a guide that shows what numbers do what to the bass. I guess the low numbers would lower the bass right? Any help you guys could give me would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

One thing at a time. You say "bi-amp"........you mean "bi-wire" right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts