AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon we will be moving to our new house where I am making my first HT in a 13X17 room. There are built in cabinets in the back of the room and around a corner. That is where I would like to put my AV reciever (Harmon Kardon AVR520), D* reciever (Samsung SIRT160), and DVD player (Denon 1600). These will be hooked up to a ceiling mounted X1 PJ. I will be installing an exhaust fan in the top of the cabinet to ensure good ventilation. My question is how would I go about using a remote (preferably one) to control components that are hidden away like this. I am of the belief that the magic of HT should just happen without all of the technology being out in the open. If I could hide the PJ I would. I have heard of a type of "relay" remotes that send signals from one room to another controlling the components there. Is this my answer? If so, any specific models I should know about? Thanks to all.

EDIT..I just read another thread on IR repeaters...that answers my question..sorry I'll look harder next time before posting.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
no problem. But if you are in the market for a remote, then that is even better then a repeater (i.e. for push buttons you have the HTM MX-600 and 800 and for touchscreen you have the Pronto TSU-3000, TSU-6000, TSU-7000 as well as the Marantz 5200, 5400 and 9200)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tom,

You can also check this post (or just look for anything on the MX-800) which gives a lot of info on a remote that will work without an IR repeater. Look for remotes that use RF (radio frequency) technology as well. It's another way to get the same thing done, even more hidden than using an IR repeater.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300572

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just want to throw in that the Home Theater Master MX-600, MX-800 and the soon-to-be-released MX-3000 touchscreen all use high quality RF devices with great RF reception.

I've tested them against the RF devices used with some of the other remotes mentioned above and find them much more accurate over longer distances.

... Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I've gone to Remotecentral.com and BlueDo, and other places researching after reading your responses and the responses to two other postings in this forum. I'm trying to decide whether to get the MX-600 or 800. With only 3 devices to control, do I really need the PC capabilities of the 800? I can get the 600 for $200 or the 800 for $300, of course with no warranties. I've read complete threads regarding warranty vs no warranty, and I think for now I'd have to fall on the 'No Warranty' side for a lot less money.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I'd recommend the 800 over the 600, if for no other reason than upgradeability down the line as you get new and/or different components. Having macro capability on any button as well as the ability to obtain discrete commands and maintain backup files for your configuration are well worth the additional expense, regardless of where you purchase one.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I agree with Mike. Some of us might be remote freaks and have several great universals at home, but any of the good universals should (from a capability standpoint) outlast the rest of the components. You might want a bigger TV, you might want a 7.1 receiver instead of the 5.1 you have now.... but a remote with RF, there is nothing that forces an upgrade in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
248 Posts
WAIT!!! :)

don't buy a new remote untill the MX3000 is released !!!! lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
Mike: Would you be good enough to expand on the "discrete" capabilities of the MX 800 you reference above? I have both the MX 500 and 600 and use discrete codes for various components via the the One for All 8811 I obtained from you, and this works just fine. But, does the MX 800 have discrete codes in the database?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Yes, the MX-800 (and 700) has a number of discrete commands in its IR database, part of MXEditor. It also has the ability to import Pronto CCFs to obtain discretes that are not in its database. You can download the software on our website or from hometheatermaster.com if you want to see exactly what's there and how it all works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.