Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I use a computer for voice recognition to do anything from chart notes to controlling the computer. This will work on almost any windows based program. I am new to the world of home of theater PCs, but had built computers for voice recognition. There is actually a computer called the Quiet Machine that this may work just for this purpose. When you put your ear up to the computer you can barely hear it.

So the question is what programs are used for the home theater PCs??

Would it be a advantage to be able to say something like start DVD, go to channel 56, etc. for all by voice?!

I know I could search the sites but I would have no idea what I would be looking for.

Thanks,

Larry Kosova

PS: This was done by voice recognition.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have been wanting to do the same thing in my HT. I think one of the problems however would be the processing power. I know for DVD software playback the processor has to be at least a 900MHz and if you were to through in voice reconition on top of that I am sure a 2GHz machine would be required to prevent any problems when using the commands during DVD watching. Of course I have never tryed it but would be interested in hearing if anyone has actually gotten it to work. I have some very nice, pro omni direction microphones and a mic mixer and would like to place the mics in specific areas of my HT room so that it would pick up the commands no matter were I was located in the room.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd imagine the main problem with using voice recognition for this sort of application would be the background noise. You could issue commands ok when not playing a DVD or music, but as soon as there's a soundtrack in the background, you'd find that the mic wouldn't be able to pick up on your voice. I'm not very familiar with this sort of technology though...perhaps there is there some clever, super-directional mic technology out there that I'm not familiar with...?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yea... that could also be a problem. ;)

Also if the voice on the movie was close to the trained voice it might interfere with the system. Like if the sound track voice yelled "STOP" and the system thought it was the trained voice and executed the "stop" and the DVD play back stopped. Now that would suck. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ha ha. "Shutdown!" :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shockabuku
I'd imagine the main problem with using voice recognition for this sort of application would be the background noise. You could issue commands ok when not playing a DVD or music, but as soon as there's a soundtrack in the background, you'd find that the mic wouldn't be able to pick up on your voice.
Since both the mic and dvd soundtrack might be going through the soundcard, it might be possible for clever software to filter or subtract the soundtrack out of the mic's input, making for clearer recognition.

prot0vision

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I did a search yesterday but Yes it can be done. I am talking with a var who writes macros. In the new 6.0 Dragon (softscan) naturally Speaking you can put the program in 'COMMAND mode' so it only recognizes commands.

I just need to know what software and if it Windows based.

As far as the noise canceling aspect the Andrea 700 Microphone headset (allof this is diacussed on my other hobby website)or the like works and the soundcard issue you can use a Andrea Pod that is a external soundcard. I use this on my notebook computer because the "noise" of the internal computer is to great for proper voice recognition.

So what software shouldI look for??

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well Larry, most of the HTPC software is Windows based. You will most likley be using something like PowerDVD XP (verison 4) for you DVD playback which there should be no reason why voice commands would not work with it.

This very quite PC you mention, were did you see it? Is there any information online about it?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mark.

It is from a company called Hewitt Rand that is now defuncnt I think . If you put in your browser Queit Machine I think you will come up with a var that might stil have it. I own one. It is a p3 1g based with 512 ram. I have the specs but not at this time. It uses a cul2 board. With voice recogniotion ,I notice a improvemnt right away. All components are standard . There is caulk in every crecive and insulated.

Thei voice recognition site is Scansoftcom go to public forum and check out all the crazies there. (I am footdoc).
www.Knowbrainer.com is the person that makes 10,000 macros for $99.00. I have had this program for two years and it is great. Tell Lunis I sent you.

Let me know of other software you thinkiI might need for cd,dvd etc.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here are a few ideas for you:

- There's a program called Game Commander that will accomplish this. It is speaker independent & maps voice commands to keystrokes -- would be straightforward to set this up for WinDVD, Winamp, etc. There's a free trial version that you can download from their web site www.gamecommander.com I tested a prior version of Game Commander & was very impressed by its performance (accuracy, speed, & level of resources consumed).

- You'll get best performance by using a noise cancelling headset. A NC headset has the ability to cancel out ambient noise by basically subtracting the signal coming from the other side of the boom from the signal coming in through the microphone pointed at the user's mouth. Headsets also facilitate optimal & consistent placement of the microphone in front of the user's mouth. This method is pretty effective & inexpensive -- but not perfect. I'd think you'd still have problems getting VR to work if you had a loud soundtrack going in the background. The best performing headsets connect with USB, but these are quite a bit more expensive than analog headsets that connect through the sound card. The best headsets are made by Plantronics.

- Wireless PC headsets are just becoming available. Logitech (which acquired Labtec last year) offers a wireless model (claimed range of 100 ft.)that's pretty agressively priced (approx. $60). I haven't used it, so can't say how well it performs.

I'd be very interested in hearing about others' experiences.

Thanks and regards

BB

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BB,

Thanks for the information. I have to disagree with you though. A usb pod to connect your microphone is $50.00 Plantronics is very bad but Andrea is very good at noise cancellarion. Parriot just came out with Talkpro that is suppose to be great. I will e-mail my voice gods and see what they say. The one person I told you aobut before wrote the macros for windows,etc. For games he recommends gamecommander but he had wrote additional macros(commands ) for this and other programs. I will ask him about the noise issue. I use a handheld microphone by Philipl Speechpro. You can take a voicde cancelling mikerophone filement and wear it on you shirt. I know there is away for this to work.

Larry

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

I jsut confirmed that for commands use a usb pod(Andrea) $50.00 for input to the computer for commmands and use a soundcard internal for output. A usb pod is an external soundcard. I use this with my notebook for voice recognition.

Good news for me is that the voice recogniton program with my add on commands already has commmands for windows media player etc so I can change the commands to work with the programs that you all have suggested.

I thankyou all for your help!!

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

I jsut confirmed that for commands use a usb pod(Andrea) $50.00 for input to the computer for commmands and use a soundcard internal for output. A usb pod is an external soundcard. I use this with my notebook for voice recognition.

Good news for me is that the voice recogniton program with my add on commands already has commmands for windows media player etc so I can change the commands to work with the programs that you all have suggested.

I thankyou all for your help!!

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
311 Posts
Larry,

could you please list the software and hardware packages

REQUIRED to do voice recognition and control media player?

BTW, another idea would be to interface this with girder.

Thanks.

HobbieMan

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HobbieMan ,

It depends what your goal is. I use Dragon(softscan) 6.0 Medical(I am a doc) .You would use 6.0 professional. Now The preffered version just hit the store and is alot cheaper BUT you can not make commands(macros) with it. Also I use a add on www.knowbrainer.com that has 10,000 commands including the ones mentioned. Tell Lunis I sent you. HE SELLS 6.0 PROFESSIONAL AT COST OR BELOW!!! This is a fact. You will not find it any cheaper and he includes his product and lifetime ,yes lifetime support.

He is one of a kind. Dont let his picture fool you he is a genuis!!!

Hardware: almost any 800 p3 or above will work but get a p4 Intel board fwith512 ram I use a soundblaster live series card.But Audigy is suppose to work great. Put your soundcard in the last slot with a space to seperate it. A good microphone is key. Headsets get a Andera 700 series($70). I use a Philips Speech Mike Pro-this has programable buttons and I use this with a medical database to do my charts. Do not think you can use a cheap mike. Spend the extra $20.00 and your accuracy will shine.

To train these programs take about 10 minutes and their are tricks to adding vocabualry in your field of interest. Out of the box accuracy should be about 96%f with some basic training 99% or above.

Again Lunis at www.knowbrainer.com will have everything you need.

If you need help e-mail me at [email protected]

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HobbieMan,

To add the above post. dont use a Hp or Compaq computer. They have their own software that messes up the VR programs. Dell,Ibm or Toshibas are safe bets. If you are building your own use a IBMDeststar series hardrive. they are tested the queitest for this app. Intel boards are the hallmark with Dragon(scansoft) VR products. Do Not get a IBM viavoice product. They are not as good with VR. Powersupply and fan look at Toms Hardware on the web they test these things . Buy the quiest make.

Again use a external usb soundcard for commands(Andrea usb pod)$50.00 and a internal soundard(Soundbalster Audigy) for output.

Let me know if you need help

Larry Kosova

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.