AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From when I started using Browseamp for Winamp I've always enjoyed being able to control things from a web browser. For those that have never used it you can control Winamp through a browser on another computer.

I have a T200 which is a 486/50mhz tablet computer with Windows 3.1 on it. I managed to get TCP/IP working under Windows 3.1 (absolute pain). I created some cgi scripts under DJGPP (free Dos compiler) that let me control what any program does in Windows. You can emulate key presses, basically do whatever you want.

Since I am only using it as a quick solution, a different cgi script is needed for each function. It's very easy to program. The scripts are usually under 20 lines of C++ code.

One thing I have found is that servers are very picky about what code you can run on them. One that I found that worked was the Abyss server (off download.com for free).

I would love to hear peoples' thoughts on this idea. I couldn't find anyone else doing this but I'm sure it's out there. Basically I want to use my T200 to control everything on the HTPC through a web browser. I've only been working on it a couple of days but it's worked pretty well so far. You can do anything from fast forwarding to loading certain files or dvds into your favorite dvd player. If anyone's interested in the code for the html file or cgi file I'd be happy to give it to them.

Tom

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Many people without your coding skill use Girder on the Host and its Internet event server... Set girder to perform the action and it does when it recieves the command via TCP/IP...

Also search for Glissando which is like a remote front end that controls media jukebox via TCP/IP and MJ's web remote plug in....

Also MainLobby and Netremote are both tools that allow for netwrok control of another machine...

Only issue I may forsee is that some of these apps (written with flash) may tax that 486 tablet (I know they stress my Point 510 webpads too much) so as a solution I use terminal services on the tablet to a machine with XP Pro...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no idea. I never knew girder could do that stuff. I've never tried girder before but I will now. Thanks.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.