AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to avoid descending into remote hell (already have a mini keyboard, but it's lacking a few media play buttons...have my normal tv remote....assuming that the surround system that I'm eventually going to get will have it's own remote), so it'd be nice if I could control some of the basic playback feature of my HTPC with my Samsung TV remote (the one that came with the TV).

I'm using Media Portal as my playback platform.

Now I assume the primary issue is having the PC pick up the IR signal. I know there are some guides on how to build one, but I don't really have the tools (i.e. a soldering iron). Is there anything commercially made? I came across IRTrans, but they want something like $100 which seems kind of nuts considering I can buy an MCE remote for like $25 that comes with an IR receiver (but I don't think that it'll recognize my Samsung remote).

Suggestions?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from just a few google searches I'm getting the impression that controlling my HTPC with my TV remote isn't going to be feasible...bleh.

Ok, well how about the reverse? Can the MCE remotes be configured to control things like TV On/Off, Volume, etc?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19580886

Ok, well how about the reverse? Can the MCE remotes be configured to control things like TV On/Off, Volume, etc?

the original mce remotes can learn a few buttons: tv power and volume.

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/comm...e-control.html

however a cheap programmable remote goes a long way towards making this process much easier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any suggestions about which one? Everyone seems to use the harmony, but I can't justify $200 for a remote

Edit: apparently I had only come across their really expensive one. Anyone have experience with the Harmony 300?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm not a harmony person myself. I use universal remote control (urc) remotes. they all seem to start a $100 without computer programming. they ones I have cost more than that.

coworkers with harmonys and kids say they are not very durable.

try to buy one locally so you can return it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
With a cheap HP IR Media Center Receiver (from eBay ~$15 shipped) and Eventghost (free + your time) you can get your TV remote to control your HTPC. I assume your TV remote can control some other device such as a DVD player with some pre-programmed codes. You would use any code set and Eventghost will see that code and issue a command.

You would send DVD Play from your TV remote and Eventghost will pick that up through the IR receiver and trigger the Play command for Media Portal. You just have to assign each IR command to the proper Media Portal command within Eventghost. You can also use Eventghost for things outside of Media Portal, but I'll leave it at this for now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
IRServer for mediaportal can also be used to do this

It can take any IR command and then you tell it what to do with that command

Its not only for mediaportal but was developed for it, I use it to run a few batch scripts from a single remote press.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ir...uite-irss-165/

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/19582778

With a cheap HP IR Media Center Receiver (from eBay ~$15 shipped) and Eventghost (free + your time) you can get your TV remote to control your HTPC. I assume your TV remote can control some other device such as a DVD player with some pre-programmed codes. You would use any code set and Eventghost will see that code and issue a command.

You would send DVD Play from your TV remote and Eventghost will pick that up through the IR receiver and trigger the Play command for Media Portal. You just have to assign each IR command to the proper Media Portal command within Eventghost. You can also use Eventghost for things outside of Media Portal, but I'll leave it at this for now.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for...the TV remote does have controls for what I assume is a dvd player. Thanks

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19581609

any suggestions about which one? Everyone seems to use the harmony, but I can't justify $200 for a remote

I used to think that too. But once you get something like an MX-700 or a Harmony One you'll never go back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For controlling the HTPC, the Microsoft IR Keyboard ZV7 looks good to me - it's not as sleek as the Logitech diNovo but it has a mouse, full QWERTY keyboard, numbers, back lit keys and best of all it's IR so it works with my IR repeater. I keep all my HT gear (except for the TV) in another room.

For controlling all the other components of my HT, I'm planning on using one of the Harmonys.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...rkwmce_v1.html

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Remo...ata/B000AOAAN8

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/19584946

I used to think that too. But once you get something like an MX-700 or a Harmony One you'll never go back.

I have a mx-700 for our main system and agree completely. but it cost a lot more than $50.

the remote is the only part of the system that you actually touch. I figure it might as well be decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts