AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I have finally begun the process of trying to organize my music library. I am ripping everything to an external firewire hard drive and using apple lossless as the format. So I want to be able to play these through my HT setup. Looking for ideas? I am thinking about an Airtunes setup but one question I have, does anyone know of a way to remotely control iTunes so you can see playlists and song info? That seems to be the one flaw with using iTunes as a music jukebox.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Remotely control it from what? A different computer, a PDA, a remote control? What do you have in mind?

Only negative I've heard about piping Lossless files through AirTunes is that that steals most of the network's bandwidth. Doing much else at the same time can cause breakup in the audio signal--not real pleasing, especially if you're using Lossless to get a good source. I'm using a Waveterminal U24 to run a digital out to a DAC and have been very pleased with the result. Sure sounds better than running digital from my crappy DVD player to the same DAC. If you aren't using a laptop to play the audio, i.e. don't mind plugging in a cable, this is a very nice solution.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would like to control iTunes from some type of remote device. from outside, living room, play room etc. The best device I have seen is the remote that comes with the SONOS system. That is what someone needs to develop for iTunes. Actually if apple was smart they would give iPods the ability to control an Airtunes setup via 802.x wireless interface. That would be slick.

But basically I want my music available to my receiver, but be able to actually see songs, artists, playlists. I have found a couple of programs, one called patioTunes and one called webtunes that I am going to play around with. I do have a blackberry with browser support so I am trying to see if I can figure out a way to get that to control the interface.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use the airport express with my laptop and it runs nicely. I'm not sure how you are attaching the external HD to the network. I use a Linksys NSLU2 that is custom modded with a MT-Daapd server. MT-daapd is a server that streams music over a network. Using this server you can also use Roku's Soundbridge products. I don't use it, but other do and it works flawlessly over wired or 802.11x wireless. If you interested let me know and I will dig up the details on how I set up my server.

Drew

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
check out this new product from SpeakerCraft:

quoting from the press release:

"

SpeakerCraft is touting the first multi-zone system to offer the display of actual iPod song information in every room in the house on a high resolution color display. This includes information such as song titles, artists, albums and music genres as well as user defined playlist.

"

?The picture I've seen of it shows the iPod in a special cradel then each room has it's own interface for control (wall mount - a little like the SONOS product)

It doesn't say whether it can use the iTunes server for the stream source instead of an iPod...

ken

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a spare iMac that is going to have a 200 GB firewire drive connected. I will share it and I do have access from a laptop. I would just like something smaller like a remote size product. Apple REALLY needs to add this feature to the iPod.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen
Ok, well I have finally begun the process of trying to organize my music library. I am ripping everything to an external firewire hard drive and using apple lossless as the format. So I want to be able to play these through my HT setup. Looking for ideas? I am thinking about an Airtunes setup but one question I have, does anyone know of a way to remotely control iTunes so you can see playlists and song info? That seems to be the one flaw with using iTunes as a music jukebox.
I use a Bluetooth enabled cell phone (Sony Ericsson) with an application called Salling Clicker ( http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/ ) to control iTunes on my Mac. It provides enough control to select lists and songs within lists. My home layout is "open" but I can control Itunes from the first floor while the mac resides on a fourth floor above. I believe the distribution of iTunes is best done with either the Airport scheme or hard wire from a central receiver that controls many speakers etc. Blue tooth works but there are limitations that may not made it useful for you. Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you've got the $$ to do it, I'd get a PDA with wireless and run VNC; connect to your iMac and control it from as far away as your network reaches. VNC was one of those jaw-dropping apps, for me. I don't use it regularly, but enough to know it really does work..

I agree that it'd be great if Apple came out with this kind of device (and a STB Mac to use it with), but I don't really think the iPod itself is the right thing for the job. Add a touchscreen, remove the HD, and you have something interesting that isn't really an iPod. But I'm ready for any Next Big Thing.

I used Salling Clicker before that phone got stolen. It did work, and it's a cool idea, but I couldn't see using it on a daily basis. If others are, that's great, no complaints.

Do you actually want to play your audio in multiple locations, i.e. multiple sets of speakers, or do you want to control a single stereo setup from wherever you happen to be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.