AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if someone has already tried this, but I have an alternate solution for turning on the PS3 rather than resorting to ir to bluetooth adapters. It requires:

-A PC (or possibly pocketpc) with an ir reciever situated where you are pointing your universal remote.

-A program that I've written but haven't quite released yet, but its several lines for anyone who knows network programming, so I figured i'd share my info now.

-A PSP or borrowed PSP to get the ps3 into remote-start mode.

The solution works, basically, by spoofing the wake packets for the PS3s Wake-On-LAN that is enabled when it goes into remote start mode. I do not think that it uses standard WOL packets, I rather think that it is waiting for any ethernet frame to hit it who's origin is the router. So the trick is to spoof the from address of a packet at the MAC level and broadcast that on your local network.

Once you have a program that achieves this, you can hook that up on a pc that has an ir reciever; if you have an HTPC here's looking at you. You hook it up such that an unused button on the pc's remote will trigger the program, and then on harmony (don't know too much about other remotes) you can pull your PC device into the PS3 activity, and specify that it should send that command to the PC when starting the PS3 activity, which will result in the PS3 turning on.

Some things I haven't investigated yet:

-It used to be that the WOL on the PS3 wasn't too stable, and would start ignoring you after a while, haven't experienced this since I implemented this solution, but haven't been heavily using. If the WOL does start ignoring you after a while then this isn't as exciting a solution.

-Need to set up some macro for power off, anyone have any suggestions? Haven't searched for Harmony macros for this.

-When you start up the PS3 from WOL it will shut down after a while unless you hit circle. It would be cool to induct this into the turn on macro. I gave it a quick try, but 10 seconds isnt long enough to wait, can you string those delays together? (new harmony user)

I've posted the full details on my blog, and there will be a part2 post soon that details exactly how to set this up. But I'm sure the intrepid of you may follow what I've laid out and beat me to it.

--Ah, I cannot post a url, unfortunately, as this is my first post. If you do a google search for: "reality refactored" it should be the first post on my blog there.

-Graham

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, forgot to mention, that also required is a traditional USB IR dongle (~$14), for the normal control of the PS3 once powered on.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_graham /forum/post/15561465

Not sure if someone has already tried this, but I have an alternate solution for turning on the PS3 rather than resorting to ir to bluetooth adapters. It requires:

-A PC (or possibly pocketpc) with an ir reciever situated where you are pointing your universal remote.

-A program that I've written but haven't quite released yet, but its several lines for anyone who knows network programming, so I figured i'd share my info now.

-A PSP or borrowed PSP to get the ps3 into remote-start mode.

The solution works, basically, by spoofing the wake packets for the PS3s Wake-On-LAN that is enabled when it goes into remote start mode. I do not think that it uses standard WOL packets, I rather think that it is waiting for any ethernet frame to hit it who's origin is the router. So the trick is to spoof the from address of a packet at the MAC level and broadcast that on your local network.

Once you have a program that achieves this, you can hook that up on a pc that has an ir reciever; if you have an HTPC here's looking at you. You hook it up such that an unused button on the pc's remote will trigger the program, and then on harmony (don't know too much about other remotes) you can pull your PC device into the PS3 activity, and specify that it should send that command to the PC when starting the PS3 activity, which will result in the PS3 turning on.

Some things I haven't investigated yet:

-It used to be that the WOL on the PS3 wasn't too stable, and would start ignoring you after a while, haven't experienced this since I implemented this solution, but haven't been heavily using. If the WOL does start ignoring you after a while then this isn't as exciting a solution.

-Need to set up some macro for power off, anyone have any suggestions? Haven't searched for Harmony macros for this.

-When you start up the PS3 from WOL it will shut down after a while unless you hit circle. It would be cool to induct this into the turn on macro. I gave it a quick try, but 10 seconds isnt long enough to wait, can you string those delays together? (new harmony user)

I've posted the full details on my blog, and there will be a part2 post soon that details exactly how to set this up. But I'm sure the intrepid of you may follow what I've laid out and beat me to it.

--Ah, I cannot post a url, unfortunately, as this is my first post. If you do a google search for: "reality refactored" it should be the first post on my blog there.

-Graham

Try posting this in the Master PS3 thread. LINK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.