AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a solution to use my Harmony One remote to control my PS3. I've seen a bunch of posts on this topic, and so far the only 2 complete solutions I've seen are IR2BT and the ps3toothfairy.

The problem is, the ps3toothfairy has said "sold out" for the past several months, and IR2BT now only sells a "professional grade" product for $150!

I've also seen the Nyko remote, but that doesn't have support for the PS button, and hence no power on/off.

Does anyone know of *any* other solutions out there? Right now, it seems that I either have to settle for a partial solution with the Nyko, or spend $150, which seems like a total rip-off.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Here's the main thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016741

For example this one is available now http://www.schmartstuff.com/ps3irpr3.html for $100.

The Nyko also has the annoying problem of stealing controller 1. The next cheapest option at $35 is the PS3IRX1 which is basically a nice looking Nyko that doesn't steal controller 1, but doesn't have the PS button (no ON).

I have an IR2BT from the first order for sale. I guess that was the cheapest full solution, but that is a moot point now.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandon5 /forum/post/15444136

I'm looking for a solution to use my Harmony One remote to control my PS3. I've seen a bunch of posts on this topic, and so far the only 2 complete solutions I've seen are IR2BT and the ps3toothfairy.

The problem is, the ps3toothfairy has said "sold out" for the past several months, and IR2BT now only sells a "professional grade" product for $150!

I've also seen the Nyko remote, but that doesn't have support for the PS button, and hence no power on/off.

Does anyone know of *any* other solutions out there? Right now, it seems that I either have to settle for a partial solution with the Nyko, or spend $150, which seems like a total rip-off.

The Nyko is not that bad. It can power off but not back on. (But you have to load in a movie or switch games anyway, right?) The only other drawback is it takes up controller port one so for some games you have to switch the controller number. Another pro is the IR receiver is slick and hardly noticeable, kinda like a thumbdrive.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15444263

Here's the main thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016741

For example this one is available now http://www.schmartstuff.com/ps3irpr3.html for $100.

The Nyko also has the annoying problem of stealing controller 1. The next cheapest option at $35 is the PS3IRX1 which is basically a nice looking Nyko that doesn't steal controller 1, but doesn't have the PS button (no ON).

I have an IR2BT from the first order for sale. I guess that was the cheapest full solution, but that is a moot point now.

I have the original IR2BT as well which I believe sold for about $50 or so. The product suffered a bit because its firmware could not be upgraded by users. In fairness, the seller offered a one-time free firmware upgrade that was necessary to keep it working after a PS3 firmware update, and he even included free return shipping. I love mine and believe there is a void in the market right now for a solution in this price range. I just hope that future PS3 firmware upgrades don't impact its operation again.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have the nyko blu-wave, and I think it is fine. Turning on and off is the only thing, but like someone said I have to get up to chane games/movies anyway so no big deal.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG /forum/post/15449614

Wow, I haven't seen that one. How much did it cost? I already own the Bluetooth remote so this would be the best option for me.

The ir4ps3 was about $46.45 with shipping. In addition to the bluetooth remote you need to get your own power supply, which I picked up at radio shack for $6 or so. Here's a link to the forum the creator was posting in on remotecentral.com. He doesn't seem to have a web site for it. I just sent him an email requesting details for ordering and he sent the info fairly quick.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...gi?14086,9#170

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz /forum/post/15450803

The ir4ps3 was about $46.45 with shipping. In addition to the bluetooth remote you need to get your own power supply, which I picked up at radio shack for $6 or so. Here's a link to the forum the creator was posting in on remotecentral.com. He doesn't seem to have a web site for it. I just sent him an email requesting details for ordering and he sent the info fairly quick.

I bought two of the ir4ps3 and I also got two of my friends to get one as well. They do rock and they are in the logitech database.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz /forum/post/15450803

Thanks. I sent him an email. That's right around an "acceptable" price range for me and I don't want to lose any features of my Blutooth remote.

What type of power cord does this require? I saw someone say they used one from a cell phone and I have a bunch of cell phone chargers lying around. The one that comes to mind is the Nokia charger which has a pretty standard connector.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG /forum/post/15451074

Thanks. I sent him an email. That's right around an "acceptable" price range for me and I don't want to lose any features of my Blutooth remote.

What type of power cord does this require? I saw someone say they used one from a cell phone and I have a bunch of cell phone chargers lying around. The one that comes to mind is the Nokia charger which has a pretty standard connector.

You can power it with a USB cable. That is what I use as I have a Motorola cable box with a USB connector on the back and I keep the cable box on all the time so the unit is always on.

****EDIT****

This is what is written in the PDF that he emails out.

External Power Supply:

An external 3V to 9V DC power supply is necessary (sold separately). A 500 mA power

supply is not required, 100 mA is also fine. If you have erratic behavior with a TRUE 3V

supply we suggest using one equal or above 4.5V. Possible choice for this power supply:

www.thesourcecc.com , Catalog Number: 2731755. This one output more than

3V even if specified at 3V.

www.radioshack.com , Catalog Number: 273-025. The following site

is a

good list of available Radio Shack power supply.

www.bestbuy.com , Model: JEN300 SKU: 7152813. Includes many plugs. Set this

one to 4.5V for proper operation.

• Most discount/overstock electronic stores do have similar universal power supply

and often at very low price.

The external power jack is an adapter plug type A. O.D.: 2.35mm. I.D.: 0.7mm. This plug

is very common. It is also included in universal power supply kit that comes with

multiple plugs.

www.thesourcecc.com , Catalog Number: 2731704

www.radioshack.com , Catalog Number: 273-1704

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch42 /forum/post/15454299

You can power it with a USB cable. That is what I use as I have a Motorola cable box with a USB connector on the back and I keep the cable box on all the time so the unit is always on.

Where did you get the usb cable with the proper end to plug into the ir4ps3?

I've looked around but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I ve read in other posts now that harmony has mapped a way for the ps3 to be turned off with the nyko...does anyone konw how to do it...i just got the bluwave and it seems like only th triangle, o, square and x are mapped to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up buying the Nyko Blu-wave, and it works fine with my Harmony.

As far as I know, there is still no way to power on/off the PS3 with the Nyko, because the PS button on the controller is only mapped through Bluetooth, and can't be accessed through the USB interface. But as other people have said, this isn't that big a deal, because you're usually getting up to insert/eject discs anyway when using the PS3.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandon5 /forum/post/15549892

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up buying the Nyko Blu-wave, and it works fine with my Harmony.

As far as I know, there is still no way to power on/off the PS3 with the Nyko, because the PS button on the controller is only mapped through Bluetooth, and can't be accessed through the USB interface. But as other people have said, this isn't that big a deal, because you're usually getting up to insert/eject discs anyway when using the PS3.

With the latest Sony firmware you can turn the PS3 off with the Nyko/harmony combo. There is an off option in the XMB so you would macro the harmony to go left like ten times, up 2 or 3 times, x, pause, and x.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandon5 /forum/post/15549892

The Nyko became annoying to me for a couple reasons. The first reason is that I often use my PS3 as a media server. There is no "you're usually getting up to insert/eject discs anyway when using the PS3" when you are playing streaming media. The other issue with the Nyko is that it always takes over controller 1. When the first IR to BT converter was released I snatched one up.

At least the Nyko is cheap.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I finally got my IR4PS3 today and I am very happy. It's a wonderful feeling being back down to one single remote again. No more of my fiance' asking me, "Which remote is it?" anymore.

Ahhh...

This is great. Especially since I have EVERY function of the PS3 available on my Harmony 659.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.