AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping you can give me some pointers how to get my HTPCreceiver setup working the way it should. My goal is to use HTPC to send on/off signals to receiver via RS-232 when suspending/resuming. Additionally I'd like to query receivers current input and if needed, switch to proper HDMI.

Some info: I've connected my Mythtv-running Ubuntu-based HTPC to Sony STR-DE3500ES AV-receiver using null-modem (female-female) serial cable. Serial interface is Zotac ION MB's one. Receiver is set up to use serial port (installer mode or something like that it was called) and I can see some sort of communication going on as I run minicom/cutecom from HTPC and switch receiver on and off.

Minicom is set up to use proper settings (9600 baud, 8N1) but all the info coming from the receiver and shown on the minicom screen is garbled (binary?). Cutecom shows proper ascii (ie. a8 82 00 1a 22 21 00 72) when switching the receiver on and off. I've tried echoing some of the Sony-specific commands found here to /dev/ttyS0 using shell, minicom and cutecom but receiver doesn't react to those in any way. I've tried to figure stty out to setup the serial interface to correct settings, but without any luck so far. Only way to see any communication actually happening is to use minicom/cutecom and toggle with power on/off.

Any tips how to debug this one?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
According to the manual I found here , the RS232 port is used for service and maintenance. I don't know if you could actually control it through this.

I also see that it has IR input/output ports. You could control it by sending it IR remote signals. I know that MythTV supports this for tuning an external set-top-box tuner. So you should be able to do something similar for the receiver. But I don't know if MythTV can be made to do it. You would need to attach an IR blaster to the HTPC, to send the IR signals.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Actually to send IR blaster commands on suspend/resume, this would be done via a script dropped into the /etc/apm/suspend.d or /etc/apm/resume.d folders (I think). The script would send the proper IR command via lirc. No integration with MythTV would be necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts