AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to adjust the convergance on my HS10, but it cannot be done in the basic menu. Does anyone know how to access the convergance adjustment on the HS10?

My blue is off by 2.5+mm and yellow is 1.0 mm off.

TIA.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The HS10 is an LCD projector, there is no way to converg the picture because there is no way for the convergance to "go off".

If you are seeing the colors blur, it could be a problem with the lens, or your glasses ;)

I know that I must were contacts when I mess with my TVs settings because my glasses are so thick that I see a Prisim effect when looking at white lines.

I always see a blue shift towards the bottom and Yellow/Red shift toward the top.

With contacts it is FAR less noticable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
But there are three LCD panels.

Isn't it possible that one ore more are physically misaligned?

Hope not, but perhaps the unit is faulty?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was another member over at my house last night and we turned on the grid and it is very noticable. I will pull out the digital camera and take a picture of the grid and demonstrate.

It is fairly noticable while watching anime.

Hopefully I do not have to send the unit back. I have been without a projector for 1.5 weeks and that was torchure.

Edit: I was wearing my glasses at the time, but my friend was not. I do agree, it is very difficult to calibrate with glasses on. Not to mention my glasses are old and not strong enough (boy I feel old now).

·
Registered
390 Posts
From what I understand convergance is set at the factory (and soldered?) and if it is off there isn't any way to adjust it. It would have to be sent back for readjustment. I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend. I just placed my order today based on P/P.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you adjusted the focus?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else that has an HS10 have a problem with convergance? I will post a pic of how far off mine is on Monday (no online access at home).

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Besides dead pixels, this is my other fear. Perpetual misconvergence is one big reason why I'm getting away from CRT technology -- I hope this isn't a widespread problem with the HS10.

Is the misconvergence uniform across the whole screen, or is it just on the edges? If it's just on the edges, it's likely an artifact of the projector's optics.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Convergence problems is something that can be wrong with a LCD-projector when you buy it. But it won't go out of convergence, it is just a result of poor alignment at the factory or faulty panels (size). Convergenc errors show in areas of high contrast. For example white against black.

If you see blue edges and yellow edges then the blue panel iss off. Red+green=yellow.

Start the projector and focus it as good as possible. The project and image with a white area on a black background to see how bad the convergence is. Count the amount of pixels (look at my screenshot below) and call Sony.

I have the same problem with my new Hitachi XGA LCD which I got as a replacement for another Hitachi with different problems. I actually sent it in yesterday and hope they replace or fix it.

Here are some pictures I took of the desktop to demonstrate the convergence problem:

http://home.c2i.net/ahustvedt/images/konv01.jpg

http://home.c2i.net/ahustvedt/images/konv02.jpg

I hope you can get yours fixed or replaced, you should contact Sony and hear what they have to say.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah.. that's about what it looks like tahustvedt.. maybe not QUITE as bad thou. I forgot my camera.. I was going to take some pictures and post them but you pretty much nailed it. I am going back over to his house on Sat so I will try to remember my camera...

We did do the focus but we are going to tinker some more with it before we write off the projector. I know it's different technology but my Toshiba 50H81 looked like poo and I wanted to take it back before it broke in and I was able to adjust it.

We did VE two nights ago and I brought over my HTPC and pushed a 720p signal to the projector.. wow.. looked great... much better. I am used to my Tosh 50in HDTV thou so the screendoor looked strange to me but not bad at all.. in a lot of scenes you didn't even notice it. I kept wondering how I could fit one of these 120 in screens into my tiny duplex :) I got home and my 50 in that takes up most of the wall it's against looked so tiny :-(

He has a pretty old progressive DVD player right now and he isn't sure if he wants to deal with the HTPC.. he has a young daughter... Tomorrow I am going to bring over my RP-56 and my HTPC and we will A-B the two of them to see if the 720p signal will whoop all over the RP-56. We are also gonna tinker some more and will keep you updated.

Thank you all for your help and comments :-D

One more thing.. we are probably going to have Mr. Bob from imageperfection.com come out and adjust our sets for us. Do you know if he would be able to adjust the convergence?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm closing this thread in order to begin to consolidate feedback from HS10 owners. Please post to the official OWNERS thread.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.