AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has a 61" Sony RPTV, KP61HS. We came home for the holidays, and I spent a lot of time calibrating the color, convergence, etc. on it for him. However the next day, when I fired it up to watch a DVD, I could tell from the text on the screen that the convergence was out of wack. I've re-done it numerous times, but every time it drifts a little by the next day. I am definitely doing MUTING + ENTER to write the settings. But the next day, the red gun will be slightly off from the other two in most areas of the screen.

I even left it one time, hoping it was just that the TV needed to warm up. But the subtitles through a 3-hour movie showed the red gun being slightly off the whole time.

Why is the convergence drifting, and what can I do to fix it?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Does this model have Flash Focus? If it does, and you are not saving it properly, it will not preserve your changes after it powers down and back on once more.

·
Banned
20 Posts
I have a 53 in. Panasonic with the exact same problem. I will go into the service menu and adjust everything, save it and exit out and watch tv and its fine. Then the next day i'll turn it on and the red is always off and I have to adjust it again day after day after day. While it was still under warranty a guy came out and tryed to fix it but he just did the same thing I did and it was messed up the next day. Anybody know how to fix this?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I hope you are giving the TV a proper warm up period before starting the convergence work. RP sets need a good 30-45 minutes of warmup before convergence.

Cars don't operate at their best from a cold start ... neither do TVs.

Regards

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes
Does this model have Flash Focus? If it does, and you are not saving it properly, it will not preserve your changes after it powers down and back on once more.
It does have Flash Focus. It was the same as for Matt Zane. I would adjust, save, and watch, and it would be fine. If I turned it off, the next day it would be all out of whack.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

I hope you are giving the TV a proper warm up period before starting the convergence work. RP sets need a good 30-45 minutes of warmup before convergence.

Cars don't operate at their best from a cold start ... neither do TVs.

Regards

I thought of that. So the 3rd day, I just left it as-is, and hoped it would get better after it warmed up. But it was still like that after 2-3 hours, on all inputs.

·
Registered
853 Posts
cyberbri...

Describe fully the procedure you are using.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes
cyberbri...

Describe fully the procedure you are using.

Display - 5 - Vol + - Power

2/5 to cycle to the white text, then 6 to get to grid pattern, then 9 to engage point convergence. Adjust points. Hit Muting -> Enter to write the data. Hit TV/Video or whatever to switch inputs, adjust and write the same way. TV is fine for hours. Fire it up the next day, and the red gun is off to varying degrees all over the screen (even after a few hours).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just as I thought, you aren't saving your changes to the Flash Focus memory.

You'll have to do some research on the procedure (find a Sony manual) or perhaps someone can chime in here, but there is an extra set of steps that saves this information to Flash Focus. I don't want to try to describe it from memory, in lieu of presenting it incorrectly.

There is a "save" to Flash Focus that involves pressing the Flash Focus button while in Service mode, and it will act as if it is performing that step. I believe that while it is memorizing the changes, it is also looking to make sure that the sensors can still see all of the measuring points. A common mistake that many calibrators make is reducing Overscan too greatly, and the Geometry boundaries are out of sight to the Flash Focus sensors. As a consequence, upon completing the memory cycle, the set will display an error code.

The conventional save method works for all the parameters except for the Convergence suite.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AHA!

I find out, now that we're back in San Jose.

Thanks for explaining that, Coyotes. It's too bad none of the online instructions on the Sony service menu or convergence mention this...

I'll definitely look that up and take care of it next time we're back at my parents' place.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead of being white letters (like subtitles, MPAA/etc screens at beginning of DVD), the letters are white with red edges, either on top or bottom, maybe to left/right side as well. That's if the red gun is off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.