AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my Pioneer 532HD for about a year now. I decided it was time to check over the 72 point convergence again. For some reason the grid lines are really shaky. The reds appear to jump out from behind the white lines flickering in and out. This is making it really hard to converge, plus something must be wrong for it to be doing that. In fact, you can sometimes see the menu words shaking also.

Please don't tell me my set is going bad. I have it plugged into a monster surge protector. I thought maybe that was going bad so I tried plugging it straight into the wall and have also tried plugging it into other sockets throughout the house, but nothing is making the flickering stop.

I am getting a good strong signal coming from my DTC 100 to the TV when converging. It also does this when using the signal from my DVD player.

If anyone else has had this experience and knows what this is, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a similar problem while setting the convergence on the RPTV. The grid lines would shake. I got it to stop by turning off the device that was plugged into the video source I was currently in. For example, I was watching DBS on video 1, then went into the service menu for convergence, the grid lines were shaking and flickering. I then turned off the Sat receiver and the shaking stopped. You may want to check for something similar.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply falcon. I fear I may have more serious issues than your set. I turned everything off going to the set and the lines are still shaky. Even stuff like the menu interface is shaky at times. I may have to have the set looked at by a Pioneer technician. I emailed Pioneer. Hopefully, they will respond to my email.

·
Registered
731 Posts
"If anyone else has had this experience and knows what this is, I would greatly appreciate your help."

Hi Mike, maybe I can help. I have a Toshiba TW65H80 which had the same symptoms you describe. I went through Guy Keohi's site ( http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ ) to find an ISF tech to try and help. I got a couple of replies about the convergence board and the digital convergence board. I ordered and replaced both, but it didn't help. I then got a reply from another tech who also repairs RPTV's and he said that he's seen this in several brands of sets and it's usually dirty connections to the crt deflection board. Unplug your set overnight (unless you're brave and very careful), remove the back and look for the three connectors going to the CRT deflection board (A Pioneer service rep or a service manual should guide you to which board). There will probably be three sets of 3 or 4 wire connectors coming from the board to the CRT's (Not the large diameter high voltage lines). Just disconnect each and reconnect several times to clean the connectors. This solved my jumping red grid and only took about 10 minutes (I chose to be VERY careful and didn't unplug the set overnight).

Hope this is your problem too, since it costs nothing to solve!

Roger

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger Thank you for your reply. I hope this is my problem as well. The more I think about it, this may be my problem. I have recently had my set ISF'ed, and this started happening just after that. I will definitely give this a shot. I may try and come through the front of the set if possible. Keohi gives a warning not to remove the back panel of Pioneer sets. If it doesn't fix it, that's ok. Like you said, it doesn't cost anything. I will let you know if this works. Thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, how much did those covergence boards cost you?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, please post back here with your results.

The boards for the Toshiba were:

Convergence Board: $120.00

Digital Convergence board: 90.28

As it turned out, I didn't need either one. I left the new convergence board in the set, but put the old digital board back in since all my convergence settings would have to be re-done with the new board. So now I have spares :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Roger, I wasn't sure what was what, so I decided to have the Best Buy tech come out to take a look at it. He's gonna check it out in a couple of days. It is still under warranty for the service plan.

I'll let you know what he says. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Good luck :)

BTW, when the service guy tried to fix mine, he did a board level integrated circuit replacement on the convergence board and when that didn't fix it, he told me the convergence board and digital convergence boards were nearly impossible to find, but he'd get on it and call me when he found them. That was 2 months ago, still no call and I've since fixed the problem myself.

I went to Toshiba's web site, found a local parts distributor, called them and asked. They gave me the part numbers for both boards and recommended calling Toshiba back to see if they were still available. I did and Toshiba had 28 convergence boards and 17 digital boards available. I called the parts place back and ordered the boards myself. Not sure I'd use a service tech again, certainly not that one anyway. However, since you're still under warranty, I probably would give them a shot.

Does Guy's site ( http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ ) have a source for the service manual for your set? If so, I'd get one for your set.

Post back here with the results if you don't mind.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A lot of sets, including my Zenith, need a synchronous source of standard-definition video feeding an input (usually specified as "Input 1") as a source of sync to stabilize the set's internal test pattern generator.

I'm not sure what we're supposed to do when there are no longer any SDTV sources available.;)

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sorry Errol, I know that of course (I even have content on your site). I was just exchanging stuff with another guy name "Guy" and managed to confuse myself :eek:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link for the manual. I actually have downloaded the manual a while back. Just something about sticking my hand into the middle of all that circuitry makes me too nervous. I've decided not to do anything to the set myself. I get the feeling the only thing I could do at this point is only make matters worse. I'll let you know what the service guy says in a couple of days. Thanks all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.