AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum and found a couple of threads on how to have the G70 handle multiple signals via a common input. These threads are confusing, if not contradictory. Right now I have 960P converged and want to add 1080I or 720P HD signals from my cable box. I don't want to accidentally undo my 960P convergence. I believe I set the 960P for the default in the service man menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben:

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Withrow
I've searched the forum and found a couple of threads on how to have the G70 handle multiple signals via a common input. These threads are confusing, if not contradictory. Right now I have 960P converged and want to add 1080I or 720P HD signals from my cable box. I don't want to accidentally undo my 960P convergence. I believe I set the 960P for the default in the service man menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben:
In order to handle multiple signals via "a common input" they must have essentially the same Vertical and horizontal frequency. Depending on what ROM firmware version you have, they can be copied from your current input and used as other inputs. However, as far as I know, this is only with ROM versions 1.10-1.11 and up. If you use an input frequency different from your current one, you will still have to touch-up the registration.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ben,

First, long time no talk. How have you been??

The G-70 puts the input frequency you send it into a regi block for an input frequency. This frequency is dependant on the resolution and scan rate of the input signal. The G-70 has 99 memory blocks? If you have a setup say 960P it will be in a block and all the convergence info will be saved there. That regi block will have a certain freq range that is very small. Anything outside that range will go into another regi block.

Now plug your 1080i or 720P signal into the G-70 and you will see that it will go to another regi block and not be converged. If you did the initial setup with no input signal and internal oscillator P2 (or is it P3?) and saved that to "all" memories, you should be close for this new freq.

A quick way to check and see if you are in another memory, is to go into the service menue with your 960P attached and look at the "input" info. Then attach the 1080i or 720p signal and see if the mem. blocks have changed.

What makes this a bit confusing is there are also 20 user memories. These are setup to save specific "user" controls like RGB size and shift, contrast, brightness etc for a particular regi memory block. Confused yet??

Also keep in mind that the input number (ie rgbhv input) really isn't controling the regi or memory block that the Sony is jumping to.

And as long as you don't hit memory nothing is saved.

What you really need to know is that you can put a different freq (resolution) into the same input (I assume you are running one cable to the projector and have a pass through? or an external switch to change sources?) and as long as it's outside the freq. range of the memory block (which in you case it will be) it will not effect your 960P setup.

Now I'm confused.....

Terry

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry,

Thanks for helping out. When and how do you store the new settings? Do you simply drive the projector with the new source and then store the configuration settings? Can you hit memory throughout the process? The reason I'm a bit worried is that I initially set the projector up for 720P and then decided to try 960P. The 720P was lost, but I may have (unfortunately) stored both as the service man default. Any more thoughts.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
125 Posts
I need to do something very similar with a 1251, can it be done?

Specifically, one resolution from a quadscan elite HD (preferibly 540p but I don't know if that is available as I have not set it up yet) and a 1080i pass thru from Comcast (new motorola box can actually do 720p but I don't know if the 1251 will accept).

Whew, what a run on.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Ben,

Just make sure that when you input he new freq. that it is in a different memory /regi than your 960P setting. It will automatically choose one based on your input. Then when your do you save, just hit the memory key once and it will save the new setting info based on the new input freq. to a new memory slot, which it will pick out as soon as you input the new resolution.

We do HD passthrough all the time into most projectors and they will all do them.

Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.