AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a samsung t150 ota hdtv tuner to play around with. i have a 1031q that i normally drive with and htpc through an extron109 interface box. now the samsung has a vga output and the 1031q is cable of handling a 1080i signal. aside from the fact that i had to make some horizontal adjustments when i hooked up the tuner to the pj, everything went pretty well. the digital channels look better than my capturecard/dscaler solution through the htpc, and when im viewing an hd source the pq ranges from good to excellent. im still desiring more from my picture quality when viewing hdtv and i was wondering if maybe my convergence gets somewhat out of whack when im driving the pj from the tuner. do i need to reconverge with my tuner as the source? and if so what can i use to converge as its only a tv tuner?

regards,

paul

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yes, its typical that the convergence may be off a tad when you switch sources. This is one reason why digital chassis projectors use memory blocks, with each source having its own unique geometry and convergence settings.

Since its a 1031q, I'm not really sure there is anything you can do except find the midline between where DVDs look good and where your tuner looks good, and leave it there. As for a source to converge from, good luck, nobody broadcasts geometry patterns. About the best I've heard of is late night one of the HD channels broadcast a test pattern at around 2 am or something.

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
Paul ,

-- I had some issue with exactly what you describe but after a very careful and precise calibration of my 1031Q [ using AVIA from HTPC @ 1080i ] the image from the T150 became almost perfect . I used the 1920x1080i (HDTV Standard) resolution settings in Powerstrip so it would maintain correct sync with the T150 [ same sync or at least very close ;) ] .

--- This procedure worked great and I had a near perfect image for both DVD and HiDef . Now I was already running my DVD playback from HTPC at 1080i so this did not change anything for me , you probably are not using scaled 1080i dvd playback however .

--- This is how I overcame the issue but you might be able to find a happy medium for both HiDef and DVD playback where you only have to make a quick little H or V adjustment with the R & B exterior shift controls .

---- How is the Extron 202 coming along ?

----- Best of Luck ,

----- Jason

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jason,

i gave up on making the cables tuesday night because i didnt have the right parts and im ticked because i missed an ebay auction for 3 of the exact cables i needed for $2 each. you want to work a trade for the 202? ill PM you. so back to the topic at hand.....

last night i stayed up until 2am and redid my G2 color settings from scratch because i still feel like my colors are quite right. its just this one scene in shrek (begin of chapter 2) where everything seems a bit washed out that always bothers me. im also not sure about my focus. Afterh the G2 adjustment i threw up Nemo and it looked pretty freakin good. i just wish i could have some of you guys over to evaluate because some times i dont know if im just being too picky or if i have not tweaked my setup.

So is it better to play dvds at 1920x1080 30hz intead of 960x540 on a 1031q?

-paul

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
Paul ,

-- there is actually very little [ if any ] difference from 540p to 1080i on the 1031Q [ for dvd playback ] since the 1031Q cannot fully resolve 1080i . I just happened to have played around with 1080i enough to where I liked it and so I let it ride :) .

---- Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.