AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have a small collection of HD movies that I've extracted from my Dish HD receiver. I have a problem getting either my 2GhZ MBP or my 1.83 Mini to play back the files. As I understand it, the Dish recordings aren't true MPEG2 files, which is causing some issues.

Is there a program that will allow me to transfer the files to another format that might be easier for Quicktime or VLC to play? These are the big stumbling block to allowing all of my media to be played through Frontrow. I've tried MPEG Streamclip and VisualHub, but with poor results.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl /forum/post/0

Is there a program that will allow me to transfer the files to another format that might be easier for Quicktime or VLC to play? These are the big stumbling block to allowing all of my media to be played through Frontrow. I've tried MPEG Streamclip and VisualHub, but with poor results.

Thanks for any help!

I'd start with MPEG StreamClip and see if it will open them. If it will, it can also convert them to a wide variety of formats (and allow you to do simple editing of the source too.)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/0

The Dish recordings are probably mpeg4. Quicktime Pro and FFmpegX may do what you want.

The MPEG4 recordings aren't able to be extracted, only the MPEG2 are.

I'm even willing to lose the DD5.1 from these if it means actually being able to watch them...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Squished Squirre. I've played with MPEG Streamclip before, but had also heard that it wouldn't pass through 5.1. I'm happy to report that it does pass it through, and all is now good. Unfortunately FrontRow won't pass the audio through, or even play 5.1 audio, so I'm using VLC, and will use Kindling as the frontend for now. I haven't played with MediaCentral with the now-working MPEGs to see if it will pass the audio through...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.