AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months I converted my FLAC files to ALAC because I couldn't play FLAC on my iphone :mad:, but I sold it and got myself an android phone and now I find my self not being able to play the ALAC files :mad:, I have XLD installed on my mac, but I don't know which settings should I use, the settings it gives me are:

Compression level: None - High ( I guess I should choose none since I don't want any loss of quality whatsoever)

Custom apodization options (wth?? )

Padding: 4 kb - ?? I know this has to do with the metafile data, but should I just leave it at 4 kb?

oggFLAC

I'd like your input on this

·
Registered
333 Posts
Compression level: None - High ( I guess I should choose none since I don't want any loss of quality whatsoever)

No, compression level in FLAC means the amount of resources allowed to spend to find the best possible compression. The result is always lossless
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/Flac.htm

Some DSP. Better leave it unchecked

Padding: 4 kb - ?? I know this has to do with the metafile data, but should I just leave it at 4 kb?
For text this is sufficient
Don't worry, if the tags don't fit in this block, the file will be rewritten

oggFLAC
No, plain FLAC

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Configuring_XLD

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

No, compression level in FLAC means the amount of resources allowed to spend to find the best possible compression. The result is always lossless
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/Flac.htm

Some DSP. Better leave it unchecked

For text this is sufficient
Don't worry, if the tags don't fit in this block, the file will be rewritten

oggFLAC
No, plain FLAC

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Configuring_XLD
Than you! you'd been really helpful! :)

I felt totally identified with this hahah "This compression quality is a permanent source of misunderstanding.
A lot of people thing that it works like the bitrates in MP3 so more or less loss.
The compression quality simply tells how many CPU FLAC is allowed to use to find the best possible compression (linear prediction)."

The irony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, silly me , I should have never given in to Apples draconian policies :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't bother converting them at all. Google Play Music supports ALAC. (It transcodes them to 320K mp3.)

If you wanted to play them natively, why not an Android media player app? VLC will play ALAC, and I'm sure there are many others.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't bother converting them at all. Google Play Music supports ALAC. (It transcodes them to 320K mp3.)

If you wanted to play them natively, why not an Android media player app? VLC will play ALAC, and I'm sure there are many others.
The thing is I don't use google music because it lags like crazy on lollipop , it's embarasing, I have google's flaship (nexus 6 ) and it runs terrible, I use shuttle+ and I love it, it's not as practical as google music, but I'd rather use an app that works well.

I'm gonna give vlc a try, I always associated with videos but after you recommended it I checked and see that they have a decent UI for music unlike on windows/mac :cool:

The irony that android don't play a open source file, it is expected from Apple but not from Android
Oh that's what you meant, it really it's stupid, a stupid fight between google and apple? ugh

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Android phones play alac fine, use winamp or something like that.

You can convert alac to flac I use foobar or dbpoweramp.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The thing is I don't use google music because it lags like crazy on lollipop , it's embarasing, I have google's flaship (nexus 6 ) and it runs terrible, I use shuttle+ and I love it, it's not as practical as google music, but I'd rather use an app that works well.
Sorry Google Music isn't working for you. I use it a couple of hours a day on a Nexus 4 (also running L) with no problems at all.

Maybe VLC or some other app will work better in your situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts