AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this has been asked a million times before. i read the stickies and searched the site and couldn't find a definitive answer.

My objective: to rip a Blu-ray disc and compress the content to the size of a DVD (while still keeping the content in its original HD format - 1080i or 720p) to be played on a DVD player that supports HD output - 720p/1080i/1080p.

Equipment: i'd like to buy two pieces of equipment, a Blu-ray drive (Lite-On iHES106-29 or LG GGC-H20L) for my computer and an upscaling DVD player with 1080p support (considering the Philips DVP5990/37) for my 1080p LCD HDTV.

what i'm trying to figure out is if this is even possible. will the upscaling DVD player read a DVD with HD content and send that content to the HDTV? I was reading something about MKV compression and how it's used to rip and compress content from BD discs. I also read the MKV can be compressed to the size of a DVD. Granted, i'm going to loose some quality, but I'm wondering if the DVD player will support the HD content created in the MKV.

Anyway, if someone can set me straight on how this all works I would really appreciate it. I don't want to spend money on equipment that won't accomplish my goal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/15420106

Most DVD players will not accept HD resolution video, regardless if it's on a DVD. For that you usually need a BD player, and very few of them can play media files.

ok, that's what i was afraid of. so to confirm, even though the upscaling dvd player outputs HD format (720p/1080i/1080p), it's only capable of reading standard DVD resolutions (480i/480p)?

Is there such a thing as a DVD player that can understand HD resolutions? What happens if you try to play recorded 1080i on DVD in a regular DVD player? It just won't play since it doesn't understand the recorded resolution?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Blu-Ray uses a blue-violet laser to read its data (hence the name, Blu-ray.) A DVD's red laser would be useless trying to read it.

The so-called 1080i/p DVD players use a processor to scale the image to 1080i/p resolutions, but they can still only read a 480i DVD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15420236

Blu-Ray uses a blue-violet laser to read its data (hence the name, Blu-ray.) A DVD's red laser would be useless trying to read it.

yes, this part i already knew. I don't want to play a blu-ray disc in my dvd player, but instead i want to play a DVD with recorded 1080i content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15420236

The so-called 1080i/p DVD players use a processor to scale the image to 1080i/p resolutions, but they can still only read a 480i DVD.

yes, which is what i was afraid of. i was hoping 1080p dvd players were actually capable of reading DVDs with HD recorded content, but apparently that's not the case.

which of course leads me to my previous question...are there any DVD players on the market that are capable of reading DVDs with recorded HD resolutions? This would be perfect for me since I could compress the blu-ray content to DVD size and still get the HD resolution when I play it.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Not that I know of. Even if you, say, spread the content out over several discs, I don't believe 1080i/p resolution can be placed on a DVD. Something about the data rates or something is the roadblock. You might ask the DVD recorder forum if there is a way, but I haven't seen one. (In fact, I think there's a sticky over there about this.)

The only thing I know of that will record 1080i (other than a hard disc or Blu-Ray itself) is DVHS.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc /forum/post/15420220

ok, that's what i was afraid of. so to confirm, even though the upscaling dvd player outputs HD format (720p/1080i/1080p), it's only capable of reading standard DVD resolutions (480i/480p)?

Is there such a thing as a DVD player that can understand HD resolutions? What happens if you try to play recorded 1080i on DVD in a regular DVD player? It just won't play since it doesn't understand the recorded resolution?

They are rare and not usually well-known models. Try the search page here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and check the various high-def options such as DivXHD/XviDHD.

For media file support, nothing beats a PC or one of those Network Media Tank appliances: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=39 . I would look into one of those if I were you. I don't have one, but I've been thinking about it. They're not expensive, and you put your files on a hard drive instead of burning discs.

The upcoming Oppo Blu-ray player will support high-def media files, but it will be something like $600.

-Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/15421202

They are rare and not usually well-known models. Try the search page here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and check the various high-def options such as DivXHD/XviDHD.

For media file support, nothing beats a PC or one of those Network Media Tank appliances: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=39 . I would look into one of those if I were you. I don't have one, but I've been thinking about it. They're not expensive, and you put your files on a hard drive instead of burning discs.

The upcoming Oppo Blu-ray player will support high-def media files, but it will be something like $600.

-Bill

that was a good idea. i found this:

http://www.divx.com/products/hw/detail.php?p=217

i think it's exactly what you were referring to. it's a little on the expensive side but looks like it will work. but to create divx hd content, don't i have to buy a divx license? otherwise it will have the divx logo watermarked on the movie?

is there software that easily converts blu-ray to divx hd?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc /forum/post/15432598

is there software that easily converts blu-ray to divx hd?

I don't know. AVSForum does not allow copying/hacking discussions. You might try videohelp.com, the user groups at cdfreaks.com, or doom9.com.

-Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, i thought i had a good alternative solution. i was going to buy an xbox 360 pro holiday bundle so i could store the divx videos on the 60gb hard drive, until i read that the unit doesn't include wifi
. instead, you have to buy a ~$100 device to enable a wireless connection (that really sux) or try building your own moded device. either way, it's less attractive than i originally thought.

so, now i'm wondering if there's a wireless device with a large hdd that supports hdmi and divx hd/xvid hd? i don't want to stream the video because my computer is an oc'd gaming machine and consumes way more juice than a a/v device. i'm kinda looking for a dumby htpc. anyone see something like this before?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc /forum/post/15437585

well, i thought i had a good alternative solution. i was going to buy an xbox 360 pro holiday bundle so i could store the divx videos on the 60gb hard drive, until i read that the unit doesn't include wifi
. instead, you have to buy a ~$100 device to enable a wireless connection (that really sux) or try building your own moded device. either way, it's less attractive than i originally thought.

so, now i'm wondering if there's a wireless device with a large hdd that supports hdmi and divx hd/xvid hd? i don't want to stream the video because my computer is an oc'd gaming machine and consumes way more juice than a a/v device. i'm kinda looking for a dumby htpc. anyone see something like this before?

As I mentioned before, you want one of the Network Media Tank appliances, such as Popcorn Hour. There is forum for these devices here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=39

-Bill

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a Popcorn Hour with a user-installed hard drive is the way to go. They even have a WiFi addon that's like

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/15437598

As I mentioned before, you want one of the Network Media Tank appliances, such as Popcorn Hour. There is forum for these devices here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=39

-Bill

yes, you're right, thanks. the popcorn hour looks great, but after you add wifi and a large hdd, the price justifies the xbox vs the popcorn. i also read external hdd's connectect to the xbox can include video content, so hdd space on the xbox is not an issue. plus, if i copy content to the external hdd i don't need wifi anymore. so it looks like the xbox is a better choice.

i'm still hesitant about the whole thing because from what i read, 720p divx is almost the same quality as 480p upscaling. i'd hate to spend $400 on a bunch of equipment that produces close to the same quality as a $50 1080p dvd player. am i wrong in thinking this? is there a clear quality improvement in divx hd vs upscaled 480p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy /forum/post/15438879

What about converting a Blu-ray/HD-DVD to a DVD to show at your friends' houses? Because your friends only have DVD players?

I tried twice with the Darkman HD-DVD with ConvertXtoDVD, but it crashed twice in the same place near the end.

you could definately do that, but then you have to watch the movie on your friend's computer. of course, if they've hooked their computer to their HDTV, then you're all set, otherwise you're SOL.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc /forum/post/15440218

the popcorn hour looks great, but after you add wifi and a large hdd, the price justifies the xbox vs the popcorn.

Well, the Popcorn Hour supports a whole slew of file types compared to the gaming systems, and has an online interface for torrents and some other nifty features. But, yeah, if the xBox plays what you want, might as well stick with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so i ended up buying a used xbox 360 arcade (2 weeks old), Jasper edition, for $160 plus cc had refurb 20gb + wireless controller for $40 . I also bought an Encore wireless bridge for $25 and a WD 120GB for $33 to replace the 20GB drive. i figure i did alright for $260. already had a 250gb wd passport, put some movies on that and it worked great. don't have to stream movies and loading the passport is quick over usb2.0.

all in all i think i did alright.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.