AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is currently wired for a Russound system meaning that there are three CAT5e wires to the keypad (there are a few extra) and a 16/2 (or maybe it is 16/4) wire to each speaker from the keypad.

I want to switch to a Digilinx system, but I would like to use the existing wiring to the extent possible. Can I just run separate 14/4 wires to the keypad and use the existing CAT5e wires? The problem that I see is that all of my wires will be cut at the keypad and the CEA 2030 standard seems to require that the wires run uncut through the keypad space up to the speakers.

I also want to distribute video with Digilinx.

By the way, my house has not been sheetrocked yet so I still have some options.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No problem. With DigiLinX, if you are observing the 2030 standard, you will terminate the 16/4 and CAT5e at the touchpanel and then continue the wiring to the SreakerLinX and speakers. There are inputs and outputs on the touchpanel for that.

Best thing to do is to get a trained authorized dealer in ASAP so they can do whatever wiring changes that are needed before the walls are closed up.

Inevitably, an experienced integrator will think of applications and contingencies that won't occur to you until much later (read, when it is is much more expen$ive)

For example, simple keypads are wired a little differently, you'll probably want to consider some Audioports, and integrating IP Video means there are several options for the audio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also as a Digilinx Dealer, We certify all the Cat5E runs for 1Gbit Ethernet, its very important otherwise there will be issues in the future. the music will freeze, etc.., especially if you want IP Video then you must get one of the dealers' involved.

Thanx

Balji Minhas

highdefzone.us

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made a mistake in my original description. The Russound system already has 16/4 run from the home end to each keypad.

Thanks for your help. I spoke with a Digilinx installer and he seemed very knowledgable about what to do (when dealing with subs, don't take that for granted). I will need to make sure the CAT5e is gigabit compatible. He also said that it wasn't necessary for me to run CAT5e to the speakers since it is highly unlikely that we will ever have IP speakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that IP speakers don't exist. What I meant to say was that it was highly unlikely that they would be used on my job (this was after we discussed some speaker brands).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts