AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know of any software that will take an essentially flat file structure (a gazillion of .mp3's) and using the id3 tag, convert that structure to a hierarchical one... artist/album/track etc.

I know that jukebox software does this for selection purposes.. I would like to maintain a bit more order in my audio collection.

Any thoughts?

Friar

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
If you're running Windows XP, Microsoft has a Windows Media Bonus Pack you can download here . It includes a nice utility called "Media Library Management Wizard" that I use to automatically reorganize my MP3 files and directories.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jmre, mhe4

Jimre - I already had the bonus pack installed, but oddly when I run the application you mention, it comes up with a warning 'can only run with windows media player xp' and then shuts down.... I did upgrade mediaplayer a while back (when prompted) and it is still the xp player so no idea what's going on there!

mhe4, tried T&R some time back (great software) but cannot now run demo as it has time expired... I'll try helium2 and see.

Thanks

Friar

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Did you maybe upgrade your media player to WMP 9 (still in beta, I believe)? That could explain the utility not working.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jimre

Yep, thats the problem... I upgraded a while back... No system restore point so unless the add/remove software will allow me to roll back, I guess I've had it!

Thanks for the help.

Friar

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FriarTuck
mhe4, tried T&R some time back (great software) but cannot now run demo as it has time expired...
There is a free-ware "clone" of Tag & Rename that works exceptionally well, and is very full-featured. I have used it exclusively for the last year.

ID3-TagIT (click on British flag, unless you can read German :))

It can organize/move files into subdirectories based on any ID3 field, create tags based on filename, rename files based on tag. You can set it to use ID3v1 or ID3v2.3 / ID3v2.4 (or both v1 and v2). Personally, I used only ID3v2.3 as I like the long fields and custom genres (for my AudioTron).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
This is a part of a readme file from Microsoft.
Quote:
Windows Media Player 9 Series users: The Media Library Management Wizard is not compatible with the 9 Series Player. An enhanced version of this feature is now a part of Windows Media Player 9 Series, accessible under Tools—> Options—> Media Library—> Automatic Media Information.
It looks like WMP 9 has this capability built-in.

Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.