AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo tell me if this is stupid or not. I have a boston acoustics MCS130 5.1 setup with an onkyo 606, and I was wondering if it's possible to convert my fronts into surrounds, make my current surrounds rears, and buy new fronts to create a 7.1 setup. If it's possible, does it make sense to do so? Would I be better off just buying new rears? My reason for asking is that if I upgrade, I'd like to get the most bang for my buck, and my ignorant assumption is that I'd get more out of my system by getting high quality fronts and moving pieces "down", instead of just getting new rears.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you do what you propose, you'll need to buy a new center speaker as well. If you bought something a little better than what you already have you won't have a perfect timbre match but timbre matching is less noticeable in the surrounds and rears than it is across the front 3. Having "lesser" speakers as surrounds or rears is fairly common (still not ideal, but many (like me) feel it's tolerable).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I have an old infinity 5.1 setup and am planning to upgrade the front 3 - center + 2 fronts. Then use the 2 fronts to setup a 7.1 by using them as 2 rears.

Here is the kicker though. The old ones are book shelf speakers and I'm planning to get full range towers for the fronts. The thing I wish I could do something about is that the surrounds/rear bookshelf are going to have to stay on the floor. I know this probably sounds terrible but really there isn't anywhere good to hang them. Having 4 speaker stand is somewhat less desired option - aesthetically it doesn't go with the room the setup is in. Perhaps if I have the speakers facing up wards and let audyssey adjust as best as it can??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/14159774

The thing I wish I could do something about is that the surrounds/rear bookshelf are going to have to stay on the floor. I know this probably sounds terrible but really there isn't anywhere good to hang them. Having 4 speaker stand is somewhat less desired option - aesthetically it doesn't go with the room the setup is in. Perhaps if I have the speakers facing up wards and let audyssey adjust as best as it can??

Haha, yea that sounds horrible :p Seriously, I don't know much about audio, but I know that you shouldn't put bookshelf speakers on the floor, especially for rears! Surrounds are supposed to be slightly ABOVE ear level :p

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickrand /forum/post/14159706

If you do what you propose, you'll need to buy a new center speaker as well. If you bought something a little better than what you already have you won't have a perfect timbre match but timbre matching is less noticeable in the surrounds and rears than it is across the front 3. Having "lesser" speakers as surrounds or rears is fairly common (still not ideal, but many (like me) feel it's tolerable).

I did this with my Klipsch Quintet III's by purchasing Klipsch B3 bookshelf's for my fronts and a Klipsch C3 for my center (all timbre matched) and moving my two front Quintet III's to the back wall. You definitely want to keep the three fronts timbre matched, if possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see, well I guess it makes more sense to upgrade all three fronts instead of just two anyway. What's interesting is that in the MCS130, it's actually the exact same speaker as L/R, they just attached different feet to it so that it rests on its side, so I would have a spare surround in case one gets tipped over and broken or something :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts