AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Klipsch 5.1 Promedia system which has been great for 12 years but now the electronics are no longer working. I have an old Yamaha receiver that I hooked up to the 5 speakers and that works fine. Now I would like to repurpose the subwoofer by removing the Promedia electronics and installing a new amplifier and make it into a working powered subwoofer.

Inside the subwoofer cabinet there are two bass speakers wired in parallel. Can anyone recommend an amplifier module or kit that will power these speakers. I could then plug this subwoofer into the subwoofer port on my receiver and have a working system. I would prefer this solution to buying a new subwoofer.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Honestly for the money you will need to spend to buy a plate amp, and then retrofit it to the sub, you could just buy something like the Dayton SUB-1200 and outperform it. The price will probably end up being very similar, and you come away with better bass.

The DIY sub-forum would be a better place to get some advice on how well this might work.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You could contact Klipsch and see how much a replacement amplifier module would cost for an RW-12 or similar, and then install it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You may be able to find some BASH amps on ebay relatively cheap, but I would go with the first poster and just go with a whole new setup. The sub you have is probably mediocre and for the price to replace you may be able to upgrade for close to the same price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Klipsch no longer services this unit and I have read mixed reviews about third party repair service so I decided not to have it fixed. I purchased a used Yamaha receiver on eBay and it drives the 5 speakers very nicely. Now all I need is a subwoofer. I looked at the Dayton SUB-1200 and it looks like a great choice based on the reviews. Thanks for the recommendation. I have one question about the Dayton. Looking at the on-line images I see that it has left and right inputs but my receiver has only one subwoofer output. How would I connect the two.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlectics  /t/1525783/convert-klipsch-subwoofer#post_24567958

Thanks for the responses. Klipsch no longer services this unit and I have read mixed reviews about third party repair service so I decided not to have it fixed. I purchased a used Yamaha receiver on eBay and it drives the 5 speakers very nicely. Now all I need is a subwoofer. I looked at the Dayton SUB-1200 and it looks like a great choice based on the reviews. Thanks for the recommendation. I have one question about the Dayton. Looking at the on-line images I see that it has left and right inputs but my receiver has only one subwoofer output. How would I connect the two.

The Dayton manual will tell you the preferred way, but generally the left input acts as the LFE input, or some manufacturers recommend using a Y-splitter at the sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts