AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I convert my family films onto dvd or bluray discs? I have some family film reels from the mid 1970's to early 1980's. The film was shot on a movie film reel camera obviously, the film is extremely small, about a half inch wide or a little less.

What section of this forum should this thread be posted at that specifcally deals with film conversation?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
8 MM film runs at 18 FPS, 16mm at 24FPS. This is what is referred to in video as the frame rate. There are companies around the country with specially modified projectors that match the frame rate to the video frame rate. If they do not match, you will see horizontal black bars running vertically through the video image.

Just Google "film to video transfer" for your area.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/20893896

8 MM film runs at 18 FPS, 16mm at 24FPS. This is what is referred to in video as the frame rate. There are companies around the country with specially modified projectors that match the frame rate to the video frame rate. If they do not match, you will see horizontal black bars running vertically through the video image.

Just Google "film to video transfer" for your area.

Thanks,

Have you done this yourself or know anyone who has and what were the results? Do you know what the PQ would be like if I put it onto my bd player?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
My dad did this with his old family 8mm and WW2 footage from Italy and North Africa. depending on how much you are willing to spend, the conversion company can digitize the image and clean it up balance color and remove rough edit/splice points.

The basic service is done just using a modified film projector that has a faster shuttle speed through the gate so there may be the effect of slightly sped up action. Without the more expensive digitizing and 'sweetening", the image will be identical to what you see when using a film projector and screen.

As to cost, I have no idea what he paid but he did NOT use the sweetening service as he wanted to maintain the original effect of film.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to convert my 8mm film collection to 1080p/24 HD onto a bluray disc if I can, I need to find the right company to do it though.

I know that the company FotoKem Laboratories in California did the remaster to the movie Baraka, they used a automated 8K film scanner and 96 kHz/24 bit audio remaster. They often offer digital film prints at a discounted price for independent and student film makers to support low budget projects. I wonder if they do what I'm looking for?

http://www.fotokem.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought there's no way you can do this.

This could be a great news for my uncle who has been asking me if this is possible and how to do it.

The problem is that i don't have what the things that i will be needing to have aside from the reels.

can I get them from the internet?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The projector and film chain are custom modified and I doubt at this stage you could find one. The film chain is an optical assembly that optically couples a projector that uses a MUCH lower wattage bulb that is still color corrected and a video camera. The frame lines on the film are synchronized with with the video frame lines using bot mechanical and electrons adjustments.

You can find numerous companies that will perform this service. Google or yellow pages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.