AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Sony DVP-S300. It's a great DVD player, but it doesn't have a DTS decoder. My Receiver (STR-DB930) does have a DTS decoder, and the 5-channel inputs, but the DVD player has only optical and coaxial audio outputs.

Is there any way to connect the two and have the receiver do the DTS decoding?

Thanks.

Rino

·
Registered
140 Posts
IM going to lean towards no. The only type of convertors ive seen for optical (fiber) is from fiber to cat-5.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm confused by your question, your receiver has 3 optical and 1 coaxial input. Use one of those to connect the DVD player and you should be good to go. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Rino van Dam -

Unless I'm missing something here, using the optical or coaxial will pass the encoded audio (DD or DTS) to the reciever ... and your receiver will do the decoding.

The fact that your DVD player doesn't have 5.1 outputs is because it doesn't have a DD or DTS decoder in it. But since it has digital outputs, it is designed to pass an encoded DD or DTS soundtrack to a receiever (many of these sorts of DVD players used to go by the nomenclature of 'DD and/or DTS ready', citing the fact that they could pass an encoded digital signal - but didn't do internal decoding).

BTW - I have the same reciever as you, and my DVD player doesn't have a decoder either. It works great! The reciever will autodetect the DD or DTS soundtrack and the pretty blue bar will show up on the display (along with it showing all five speakers as being active, the LFE channel, etc).

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm confused too...UNLESS you're talking about a very early DVD player - some early players would not pass the DTS bitstream. They only passed the DD bitstream...and if that's the case then nothing will work except a new DVD player...

Wyatt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I was confused :)

My DVD player is a very early model from 12/98, and it probably doesn't pass the DTS bitstream. I guess I'm out of luck then.... Too bad, it's a great player.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up.

Rino

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
From what I can read, your DVD player and the receiver both support DD and DTS.

Connect the DVD player to the receiver using either a digital optical (Toslink) or coax cable and set the receiver accordingly (and possible the DVD player)

Also... many times you need to select either DD or DTS in the menu of the DVD disc you want to watch.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I couldn't find anything about your DVD player..Sony's support website was useless..darn pages wouldn't come up..

I bought my first DVD player around November 1998 and at that time the majority of players didn't pass DTS. Of course most receivers at that time didn't decode DTS either...

Wyatt

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.