AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HS-2000 that I only use for video time-delay... enabling me to synchronize live TV video with (delayed) Internet audio broadcast basketball games (hate the TV play-by-play!).

I have no need for downloading program schedules, as I always manually start recording.

Can the (long distance call for me) phone-home function be killed and not interfere with manual recording and playing?

I'll soon be powering it up for the first time since April. The unit has been disconnected from the phone line since I discovered the impact on my phone bill. I recall seeing (mid-April) an error/message window that covered the TV video, and wouldn't go away. I think it was demanding some phone-home operation. Not a problem then, but it would be in a couple of weeks if still there!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you're not using the channel guide to set up any recordings i don't see why you couldn't leave the phone jack unplugged all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my experience, the unit must first go through the initial setup over a phone line, but then it will do individual manual recordings even when there is no Guide Data available.

I have NOT been able to use any of the repeat manual recording settings without Guide Data, but one-time-only recordings are working fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi, Jono and Phoneless made 2 good comments, yes, you can leave the unit without the phone connection and it will work fine, as a VCR without tapes and with Live-TV control, and yes, you should do an initial setup where you select your phone area code and first 3 digits (XXX) - YYYY and your ZIP code then the SS/ReplayTV will do a call and get your local numbers, if you are not in the US you can select anything you like in your time zone area, for example i am in Mexico so i selected Texas ZIP code and phone digits because Texas has the same time zone than the city where i live in Mexico, on your setup you should also select Input1 as Other, Input2 as Other (on S-Video if that is your choice as i did) and nothing in Tuner (the internal tuner will work and will give you the full series on channels) then it will call again and will just set the time, download Replay Zones (they will not work but downloaded anyway), check for new software and your unit will be ready

please comment where are you located. recently i altered my phone list so i included to phone numbers to access my local ISP with my username and password so i can now made local calls but this is not very useful for me because i can not get a channel guide that lineup with my DirecTV service in Mexico, but with this hack i will be able to get software downloads (i hope they will be available) throught a local call, maybe a hack like this could work for you or do you have lineup problems too?

saludos

·
Registered
14 Posts
What hack did you use to dial your local ISP and use your logon and password? Unfortunately none of my dialups are a local call so I only do the updates on a weekend with my particular calling plan....

·
Registered
116 Posts
ok, i have a backup of my ReplayTV hd image on my computer hd as a 302Mb file (made it with the excellent RTVPatch program on w2k), and of course i have a CD-R copy too, so i used a program called xvi32 to edit the file, i made a search of the phone number that my ReplayTV regularly call (if you just call the weekends i just had call 3 times on this year), but i founded it in 12 places and the 1-800 number in 15 places, so i looked for a different number that appears on my list and i founded just one appearance of one or two of them, the list of phones is actually a text file but you have to find the active one over the ones that has been deleted before but that still appears on your hd partition but are not accessed by the OS, you can detect which one to use looking at the beginning and at the end of the file for garbage, so i picked a pair of phones and overwrote them with my 2 ISP local phones on the form (XXX) YYY-ZZZZ, after that comes 2 methods of dialing as a substring info like "[1,3] - [6,8]|1 - [1,3] - [6,8]" (sorry but i am doing this from memory), and the descriptions of the phones, after that comes the username and password fields you should be very careful to not overwrite on some characters that comes between each field, and not to use more that the space that you have (for the moment, later you could use one connection data instead of two if you need more space). and that's it you copy this image onto your hd, or you could use another hd to test first, install it and go to setup screen, you should be able to see you changes on the phones list, pick one phone and do a 243-zones net connect to test it

i will elaborate more on this but really i don't have the time right now, sorry, and i hope this helps

please post results!!

saludos y suerte

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.