AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a tv in my kitchen. I have a 22 inch lcd monitor and am wondering if there was a way to hook up a converter box to it that would enable me to use bunny ears with it and watch tv.

Thanks,

treepop

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nope there is not.

I tried this myself.

Why ? because LCD monitors only have DVI or VGA, and Converter Boxes, only have Composite or S-Video out. So unless theres some cable adapter which I doubt you can not do this.

The only LCD monitors I have seen with Composite inputs are LCD TV 19 inches small and those already come with a TV tuner.

Your best bet is to find a Converter box with VGA out.

Which will suck because they output only 480i which will look terrible on an LCD display.

I decided to go with a 10 inch NetBook which was $200 bucks, and a USB 2.0 TV tuner, now at least I get HDTV anywhere I want inlcuding the Kitchen and its portable.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
yes you can do this.

avermedia makes PC monitor converter boxes, i have one of their older ones and use it with a 19" LCD

its tuner is analog only and its VGA in/output but they do have new ones with DVI in/out with ATSC tuners

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/...il.aspx?Id=470

this is model you want if your tuning in OTA ATSC TV channels and it will even be in HD

it also has 1 component video input so if you decide to get a HD cable/sat box it will also work with it

i plan on replacing my old one with this model someday so i can get HD on my secondary TV in my bedroom but as its just a 19" 4:3 monitor i'm not in a huge rush

1 - 4 of 4 Posts