AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is software and hardware to convert standard and HD video to SBS videos. I know how to crop and make two separate sbs frames into two tracks instead of one. the two stereo frames, convert each one to an apparent 180 degrees, and then remerge them into a single clip again? I realize this won't be true VR. But I have gotten into 2D to 3D conversion, and I really want the 3D of some of the clips to be a little exaggerated by the 180 degree SBS effect. At the moment, I am using Photoshop Premier. I would love if I can do it from there, but if not, I am willing to consider other options.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Are you trying to create VR 360 or 180 format?

I'm not familiar with "Photoshop Premiere," but I use Adobe Premiere Pro and this has some tools in the Immersive video effects that will allow you to convert a normal flat 16x9 video or image, 2D or 3D to equirectangular to be displayed in a VR 360 head mounted display. You can also view this format in compatible You Tube or Facebook uploads with navigation control so you can pan around the VR world.

Just know that unless your original was captured with a real 360 VR camera, you won't get much advantage to the 360 or even the 180 effect.

2D to 3D is a different matter and most of the low end software does it with lots of errors and artifacts. What Hollywood uses is very high end and takes a lot of work to achieve the results they get. It's so much easier to shoot the video or still with two cameras and then join the left and right files for stereoscopic 3D.

To shoot 3D 360, I use the only 3D 360VR camera on the market that sells for a resonable price. It is the Vuze.camera

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you trying to create VR 360 or 180 format?

I'm not familiar with "Photoshop Premiere," but I use Adobe Premiere Pro and this has some tools in the Immersive video effects that will allow you to convert a normal flat 16x9 video or image, 2D or 3D to equirectangular to be displayed in a VR 360 head mounted display. You can also view this format in compatible You Tube or Facebook uploads with navigation control so you can pan around the VR world.

Just know that unless your original was captured with a real 360 VR camera, you won't get much advantage to the 360 or even the 180 effect.

2D to 3D is a different matter and most of the low end software does it with lots of errors and artifacts. What Hollywood uses is very high end and takes a lot of work to achieve the results they get. It's so much easier to shoot the video or still with two cameras and then join the left and right files for stereoscopic 3D.

To shoot 3D 360, I use the only 3D 360VR camera on the market that sells for a resonable price. It is the Vuze.camera

I meant Adobe Premier Elements. While I AM viewing these videos in vr goggles., My primary concern is just to make a 3D sbs image using a stereo pair from two 180 degree images. Head tracking is ok, but may not be totally necessary. I really just want a video with an slightly exaggerated 3D effect. What I'd like to do is take a 16:9 video, split it into two videos that create a stereo pair, and then change each side of the pair from whatever viewing angle it is, to a 180 degree perspective.. Then I can remerge them into a single video.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I meant Adobe Premier Elements. While I AM viewing these videos in vr goggles., My primary concern is just to make a 3D sbs image using a stereo pair from two 180 degree images. Head tracking is ok, but may not be totally necessary. I really just want a video with an slightly exaggerated 3D effect. What I'd like to do is take a 16:9 video, split it into two videos that create a stereo pair, and then change each side of the pair from whatever viewing angle it is, to a 180 degree perspective.. Then I can remerge them into a single video.
OK, here's the scoop on what you want to do:
You can create a stereoscopic effect with that process but it will not be true 3D stereo. The image will just be a flat screen 2D image that is pushed back or pulled forward in 3D space. Each object or element in the image will not have depth.

There are video editing packages that you can generate a 3D stereo effect ( conversion 2D to 3D) but unfortunately these are loaded with occlusion errors and other artifacts. Not true stereo 3D at all. In my experience, the HMD goggles work best when you push the 2D image back into the distant virtual space as opposed to pulling forward.

In addition, because goggles are designed to present a 360 3D view, you will need special editing software to project a flat image in this virtual space to prevent warping. Premiere Pro with the new Immersion video effects works well for this purpose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here's the scoop on what you want to do:
You can create a stereoscopic effect with that process but it will not be true 3D stereo. The image will just be a flat screen 2D image that is pushed back or pulled forward in 3D space. Each object or element in the image will not have depth.

There are video editing packages that you can generate a 3D stereo effect ( conversion 2D to 3D) but unfortunately these are loaded with occlusion errors and other artifacts. Not true stereo 3D at all. In my experience, the HMD goggles work best when you push the 2D image back into the distant virtual space as opposed to pulling forward.

In addition, because goggles are designed to present a 360 3D view, you will need special editing software to project a flat image in this virtual space to prevent warping. Premiere Pro with the new Immersion video effects works well for this purpose.
In the end, I am using Skybox to view the videos, and that software/app can show the images I am watching in 180 as a flat image or stereo. I am gonna stick with flat image, BUT I need to figure out the right ratio of black border to video at the top and bottom. Without a border or lots of space of some kind the video distorts at the top and bottom. But if I make my video area square and then just put some border at the top and bottom and slight stretch the video left to right, the 180 eventually makes the video 3D enough for my purposes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Found an even easier way to do this..

As it turns out, the easiest way I found to do this is to take a 16:9 video, and maintain its width, but scrunch the vertical scale until the video takes up the center third of the screen. They I just tell Skybox that its a 180 video, and it works pretty well. There is black at the top and bottom, but it acts as space that stretches the video back out so the middle section is exaggerated a little, but not really blown out of proportion. The end result is, if you view it in the goggles, it already converts it to a stereo pair, and you get a 3D effect. My editing flow sped up a bit when I realized I can leave that alignmentthe video bar on and just keep swapping out new videos and saving them.

I have been using this for a variety of purposes, and it works pretty well for my needs.

The next thing I need to figure out is how to extend the "video space" or "resolution space" of the video. If a standard HD is 1920p, that allows me to get my 180 degree effect. But I am still trying to also figure out how to change my space to double that, at 3840 for 360 degree videos.. I found a setting in premier that LOOK like it would let me change that, but when I try to click in that filed or type into it, nothing happens. I think if I go to Edit, Video Preferences, there is a spot where it shows HD video is 1920 wide. But I can't seem to change it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can I confirm the dimensions you used for 180 3d vr.

1920x1080 becomes 1920x720, then you render this into 3840x2160 top bottom as

Top = 3840x1080
Bottom = 3840x1080

And there is a black bar around the 1920x720 image to fit into 3840x1080

Is that right ?

As it turns out, the easiest way I found to do this is to take a 16:9 video, and maintain its width, but scrunch the vertical scale until the video takes up the center third of the screen. They I just tell Skybox that its a 180 video, and it works pretty well. There is black at the top and bottom, but it acts as space that stretches the video back out so the middle section is exaggerated a little, but not really blown out of proportion. The end result is, if you view it in the goggles, it already converts it to a stereo pair, and you get a 3D effect. My editing flow sped up a bit when I realized I can leave that alignmentthe video bar on and just keep swapping out new videos and saving them.

I have been using this for a variety of purposes, and it works pretty well for my needs.

The next thing I need to figure out is how to extend the "video space" or "resolution space" of the video. If a standard HD is 1920p, that allows me to get my 180 degree effect. But I am still trying to also figure out how to change my space to double that, at 3840 for 360 degree videos.. I found a setting in premier that LOOK like it would let me change that, but when I try to click in that filed or type into it, nothing happens. I think if I go to Edit, Video Preferences, there is a spot where it shows HD video is 1920 wide. But I can't seem to change it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are referring to top and bottom as video lines in Abobe Premier, not quite.. both images are still 1920x1080, but then I extend the horizontal workspace to an over all 3840 horizontally, and 1920 vertically, and then use a linear wiper to link them so that the first one takes up the first 1920, and the second video takes up the remaining 1920.

However, just to add an update to this. I have started making 180 degree videos by turning the videos into a square. So for example, if I started with a single video clip, to change a 1920x1080 image into 180, I change the resolution to 1920x1920. Your original 1920 still fills the image from left to right, but now there is 1920-1080= 840 and then divide that by 2 for 420 lines worth of black area above and below the video.. If your original video was 640x480, then you change the video to 640x640..

This ISN'T a perfect process, and you may need to tinker a little, but I find as an over all average, this Allows for a mostly 180 degree image with minimal stretching and distortion. You will still get about 20% of the top and bottom as being black in the 180 degree format.

One you find two opposing view images in a movie or show that you want to turn into 360, you can just convert them to the 180 format, and change your horizontal video work space to 3840, and then linear wipe the second image to the first image..and that should do it. I am sure there are smoother and better ways of doing this, but for someone who is not a video pro, this is still a pretty quick and dirty way to get the job done.

Can I confirm the dimensions you used for 180 3d vr.

1920x1080 becomes 1920x720, then you render this into 3840x2160 top bottom as

Top = 3840x1080
Bottom = 3840x1080

And there is a black bar around the 1920x720 image to fit into 3840x1080

Is that right ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.