AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an excellent Ellie 8' 4/3 electric screen at a great price :)

Was going to sell it on for a small profit, but just hung it & I'm really impressed with it. No ripples, almost 100% flat & a nice motor operation.

Thing is I've a HS10 (16/9 ratio) PJ & I'd like to "mask" the top 20 inches, theryby converting it.

It's got the standard 5cm black borders all round (i.e. sides & bottom) so just the top, now unused area needs converting to black.

Any recommendations for a good quality black paint? What type won't peel, crack etc.. & is good at absorbtion? Acrylic based, water etc..? Better to roll it on or spray it? Any aerosol types available?

I don't want to ruin it, still rather sell it than do that - it's such a good screen.

Apologies for so many questions, but several hours browsing & several searches were fruitless.

Advice appreciated ;)

· Registered
483 Posts
Rather than paint, you could try the black Duvetyne adhesive tape...available in up to 6" widths I think ( www.rosebrand.com ). Then you could just retract the screen to the top of the tape, or run two or three widths of tape across the screen. Just run a straight edge across the screen to apply the tape in a consistent manner.

Depending on what source you will be watching (HDTV vs DVD), you may want to consider making a 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio instead of 16:9 in order to avoid the black bars. Do a search, there are active threads about this very issue right now.

Cheers,

Simon

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ;)

I've looked at that tape, but it seems more suitable for masking a "fixed" screen.

Paint is my only choice - I can't afford to damage/ripple the screen material I have - it hangs that flat. Like a sheet of glass :eek:

The case is relatively small too, only 9x9cm approx.

So anyone any ideas? What do screen manufacturers use to "mask" their screens? I know some actually bond on the black borders, but many still paint them on.

As long as the paint is stable i.e. won't smear the white viewing area & crack etc..

Someone must have some suggestions :confused:

Thanx in advance ;)

· Registered
64 Posts
Home Depot has some Rust-Oleum Vinyl "Specialty Paint" in rattle cans. I have not tried it yet as I am looking into other options, possibly a new screen.

This paint claims to be a Flexible vinyl coating that will not crack or peel. If it works half as well as the rattle can vinyl paint I spray paint that I used when I was a teen to change my car seats from white to black then it should work very, very well considering the wear and tear that car seats take.

I would not be surprised though if it would'nt be possible to use like some 3m spay adhesive and attach cloth instead at the top. I think as long as the roller has clearance in the housing to take up the additional little bit of bulk that this would be a viable option.

Another thing a person could do is cover some foam or thin material in velvet and simply velcro it to the screen. There is some really good adhesive backed velcros.

I am trying to come up with some sort of masking myself, as I was given a brand new Draper motorized screen that has no side masking at all.

BOL.....Scott

· Registered
1,199 Posts
I've had great success with "automotive" interior paint. You can buy it at your local auto paint store in spray cans. I bought my Da-lite HCMW screen fabric cut to size and used this paint for the black masking on the sides and bottom. My screen is a DIY electric screen and have had NO problems at all with the paint pealing.

Ddog!!

P.S. The screen has been up sence mid November.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.