AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked on this forum for 10 years and never commented or written any posts, but I figured it might be worth it as I dive into this theater build - so apologies for my lack of contribution up to this point. Myself, my wife and our two boys just moved into a new home and lucky me it had a couple extra bedrooms in the basement - one of which I get to convert into a dedicated theater. I had a couple of room choices (neither ideal due to size constraints), but after going back and forth, the extra 1' of width on the room I chose won out. This room is not ideal but it is doable and I would love everyone's input and advice.

Please forgive the incredibly crude floorplan drawing below but hopefully it makes sense with the info below

Room Info:

The room is 10'4"x17' with an 11" extension that runs 7'4" on one of the walls (where the entrance to the room is). I have a closet of decent size that I can make use of as well that is around 9x6 at it's widest point and it is angled as it slopes to the entrance door. My ceilings are 7'8" over the majority of the room however due to an airduct placement, I have lowered ceilings of 6'8" that runs about 2'8" off the entrance wall. There is a window on the exterior wall that runs just under 5' wide by 4' high. I have can lighting in the room spaced evenly within the higher ceiling space and another couple can lights spaced in the middle of the lowered portion of the ceiling.

Here is the room from a couple angles

This is the view from the entrance.

View of the entrance/widened area

Screen Wall - the 3' of space is behind this wall

Screen Wall

Entrance to closet area at back of room

Closet

Closet

Beginning of tile removal (I have removed all the tile at the time of this post)

Equipment Info:

As far as equipment is concerned, I will be purchasing the projector and screen new (used a TV in my old theater room). I have some audio currently that I have debated finding a way to use but I am not sure how feasible it is (part of the advice I would like to hear input on). I have 2 Def Tech 8040 towers and a old small Def Tech center channel (center channel is not being used, will need new). I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 Sub as well I would like to utilize in conjunction with an additional new sub. Because of my room size and the lowered ceiling that juts out onto my wall I will be putting the screen on, I will be somewhat limited with wall space and so in order to use the current towers, or any towers for that matter I would go with an AT screen and actually cut into the wall and build a "shadowbox" on the outside of the wall. I have about 3' of space to work with behind the screen wall. I have had people tell me to avoid blowing out a box in the wall and just use in wall speakers (I've never trusted in-wall's) - either way I will want to use an AT screen to maximize my space available on the screen wall. I will use the closet to house an AV rack and ideally will only need to run speaker wire to the screen wall - there is power run already for subs/speakers.

Setup wanted:

End result I would like to find a way to use around a 110" screen, maybe slightly larger if I went 235 (I am a bit height challenged with the lowered ceiling portion). I am thinking 7.2.4 if I can make it work, however with the window in the middle of the wall I am needing ideas for side channels that wouldn't blend into the height channels. Based on advice though if that is a bit much for my room size, I would be willing to do a 5.2.2/4 system. I would like to be able to seat 6 comfortably and due to room size and personal preferences of myself and my kiddos, I will more than likely try to utilize a U sectional without the middle seat - turning it into more of a bed couch, for the front seating and then I would like to try to fit 3 low profile theater seats on a 7" or so riser behind it or another comfy couch potentially if I can't swing seats with the constricted space. I plan on lining the primary ceiling area with molding with an LED strip inside it so aesthetically I would like to keep the screen within 7'8" of wall space that isn't impacted by the lowered ceiling.

Advice needed:

Screen size within the constraints of the throw wall and whether or not to go 16x9 which would cause my to be hindered by the lowered ceiling and not use a portion of the throw wall, or go 235 and be able to use more of the wall however I would have a lowered ceiling above a portion of the screen and it would not look quite as clean from a lighting perspective.

Do I try to utilize my DT floor standers (which I like btw), and open up the wall to put them behind the screen, or do I look at in wall options and put them behind the screen and sneak the subs into the corners, avoiding any demo work on the wall?

Is the room big enough to go 7.2.4 or should I look at only 2 height channels? Also what are solutions for a side channel when you have a window along the wall where it would go?

Final thoughts:

I haven't set a hard fast budget as of right now but I would like to keep my product/material costs around $15,000 if possible - I plan on doing 90-95% of the labor/construction - I am quite certain I will go over this, but this is the goal. Major expenses remaining, projector/needed audio/screen/carpet and seating. I have the carpet and seating semi-picked out and it will run around $5,000 which would leave 10k for equipment. I am excited to post progress pics along the way for this build, I intend on working on it pretty seriously over the next 2 months and hope to have it completed as quickly as possible assuming shipping delays don't impact me too much. Truly appreciate any insight or advice you're willing to give!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Tile gone and some tape down to visualize seating and screen size.
I have been leaning towards avoiding the wall tear-down and going with some in wall LCR’s behind the screen and putting the subs in the corners.
The front squared off section is for a “couch/ottoman bed” that sits low (32” high) and the back section is a 7’ deep 8’ wide riser where I would put a 3 seat theater sofa with a middle pull down seat that converts into a table and cup holders. The width would fit in the riser with 5 inches to spare.

The walkway on the side is 24” roughly at its smallest point leaving a nice path to the closet area which will be where the av rack will be

Second update edit:

Painting almost finished. Walls look considerably darker without all the light. Ceiling looks black but is a dark grey along with the trim.

For the window I’ve got some 3M lock lining the inside and I will be attaching a thermal noise absorbing blanket to the border and then some acoustic curtains will be placed over it.

I am going to cheat a bit on running my wiring to save myself some time and cutting into my walls by running it along my ceiling for my LCR and Rears. I will have the wire popping out this hole below and then tacked along the wall just below an LED strip. I then will hide all this with the crown molding below that will allow the LED strips to give a nice ceiling glow effect while hiding my wiring and drop holes.

Once I get my wiring done I’ll be building the riser and placing it before laying down the carpet.

Should have a product/system update shortly.

Edit 3:
Just about all my wiring is completed now, still need to run the HDMI and Sub cables. Trying to figure out where I’m gonna have my sub cable pop out near the right side of the screen wall. Probably just above the base board.

I also ran the LEF strip that will give the moulding the glow around the soffited area. Window is also blacked out and allows 0 light now with a thermal blanket behind a curtain.

Carpet pad needs to be glued/taped still and trimmed before I can begin the riser.

Acoustic paneling arrived and will be going up shortly, just confirming spots I want to place it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
System update: (I’ll update more thoroughly)
Denon 3700h
Sony 325ES
Seymour 110” AT Center Stage UF Screen
Definitive Technology UIW RLS II x3 LCR
Definitive Technology 6.5 LCR x2 - Rears
KEF 160.cr x4 - Atmos
Martin Logan Dynamo 500 Sub (may swap this)
Panamax 5300 PM
Apple TV 4k
PlayStation 5

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Going to be nice when you are done. I will update more thoughts later, but my initial impression is that you will have difficulty with a second row of raised seating, as the buttress is going to force your screen to be too low for them to have an adequate view of the bottom of the screen.

Alternative options are a sitting bar area in the back. that will get the eyes far above the screen and allow a good viewing angle. Alternatively, if the kids are the other guests, get bean bag chairs for in front of the couch. A "U" shaped couch will also allow additional seating without screen blockage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to be nice when you are done. I will update more thoughts later, but my initial impression is that you will have difficulty with a second row of raised seating, as the buttress is going to force your screen to be too low for them to have an adequate view of the bottom of the screen.

Alternative options are a sitting bar area in the back. that will get the eyes far above the screen and allow a good viewing angle. Alternatively, if the kids are the other guests, get bean bag chairs for in front of the couch. A "U" shaped cpoch will also allow additional seating without screen blockage.
Thank you for the reply. Looking forward to seeing what you have to say. As for the seating, if I put the U couch without the middle seat it will allow me about 24” of space for a walk way and it would only leave me around 5’ for a riser - not opposed to the bar top option.

Screen I have been looking at is the Seymour HO95 which would allow me to stay within the wall and buttress giving me more height ability. The wall to buttress is 103” and the HO95 premier would be total length of 100” I believe

·
Registered
654 Posts
Advice needed:
Screen size within the constraints of the throw wall and whether or not to go 16x9 which would cause my to be hindered by the lowered ceiling and not use a portion of the throw wall, or go 235 and be able to use more of the wall however I would have a lowered ceiling above a portion of the screen and it would not look quite as clean from a lighting perspective.
I'd definitely go with a 2.35 screen. But probably would also consider mimicking the right soffit, making the same on the left side of the room if possible, as well as on the front wall. And if so, I'd put a few spotlights about the screen.
Do I try to utilize my DT floor standers (which I like btw), and open up the wall to put them behind the screen, or do I look at in wall options and put them behind the screen and sneak the subs into the corners, avoiding any demo work on the wall?
if you already have those speakers, I think it makes all the sense to use them, no point in wasting money buying something else that you probably wouldn't even like as much. And a false wall always looks great, which is also a nice plus.
Is the room big enough to go 7.2.4 or should I look at only 2 height channels? Also what are solutions for a side channel when you have a window along the wall where it would go?
Looking at your diagram, 4 ceiling speakers seem doable. The window is problematic, the left surround speaker should be placed there, but if you can't perhaps the best option is to have a 5. x.4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd definitely go with a 2.35 screen. But probably would also consider mimicking the right soffit, making the same on the left side of the room if possible, as well as on the front wall. And if so, I'd put a few spotlights about the screen.
First I truly appreciate the insight. The above is something I had not considered. Considering that would be a decent bit more framing and construction what are your thoughts on molding/lighting within the soffit dimensions and keeping the screen within those dimensions and keeping the right side as the walkway area considering the seating will be pushed all the way against the window wall as well anyway to allow for space to walk?

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's a huge soffit - I'd be curious if there is wasted space inside that would justify ripping it out and re-doing it.

You can squeeze two rows in there, but they would have to be smaller seats that don't recline (at least the back row). If you want to go ATS, I don't know if you'd be able to get two rows.

If you're happy with your DefTech, keep them. If you're looking to upgrade, get anything but DefTech.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's a huge soffit - I'd be curious if there is wasted space inside that would justify ripping it out and re-doing it.
+1
You can squeeze two rows in there, but they would have to be smaller seats that don't recline (at least the back row). If you want to go ATS, I don't know if you'd be able to get two rows.
I assumed it'd only be one row.
First I truly appreciate the insight. The above is something I had not considered. Considering that would be a decent bit more framing and construction what are your thoughts on molding/lighting within the soffit dimensions and keeping the screen within those dimensions and keeping the right side as the walkway area considering the seating will be pushed all the way against the window wall as well anyway to allow for space to walk?
And where would the screen be? Centered relative to the room, or to the chairs?

If you absolutely need to have many chairs, I guess 2 rows is the only solution, but if it was my room I would make only one row, saving the money that would be spent on the 2nd row, and making sure the first row would have the best possible experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you absolutely need to have many chairs, I guess 2 rows is the only solution, but if it was my room I would make only one row, saving the money that would be spent on the 2nd row, and making sure the first row would have the best possible experience.
My current plan is to utilize a sofa bed (basically a U couch without the middle cushion for the first “row” of seating. Head distance for people laying on this first row will be 9.5’ away from the screen which I know is a bit close for some people with a 110 screen but it’s not crazy IMO. That leaves me 7.5 ft behind the couch to utilize a riser and place a 3 chair sofa (no arms rests in the middle with a chair that folds down if only seating two). The couch and riser would be centered with the screen which would be centered within the left well and right “invisible line” of the soffit - the open area to the right of the screen wall would be where the entrance is and also would have a sub in that corner.

Hopefully that makes sense. I will take some pictures tomorrow with tape explaining the layout.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
You're a brave/strong man, to be tearing up all that tile by yourself, that's no task for the weak willed!

I tried to find it ,but can't find the length of the room? IMO, that's the biggest contributing factor to screen size: how far away you can sit...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I’ve enjoyed mine for the most part. I know quite a few people take issue with them. What is your take and why would you advise to stay away?
You can get more for your money is all I'm saying. Listen around, do some comparisons (Crutchfield is good).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're a brave/strong man, to be tearing up all that tile by yourself, that's no task for the weak willed!

I tried to find it ,but can't find the length of the room? IMO, that's the biggest contributing factor to screen size: how far away you can sit...
Tile was definitely a rough day! Thank god for tool rental. Used a 20 lb demo hammer and it worked pretty well.

Head distance in that first seating area will be between 9-10’. The distance for the second row will be from 14.5-16. The tape on the wall is the dimensions of the Seymour 110” diag premier screen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Updates: Starting on ceiling molding to hide wiring this week

waiting on speakers to arrive to install.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts