AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I lived in England for a while, and bought a Cambridge Audio A1 Mk.2 integrated amplifier while I was there. I have been back in Canada for a few years, and the amp has been in storage all that time, because the back panel said it was rated for 220-240v only.

I wanted to clear out my stuff, and while cleaning it, I decided to open it up.

Inside I noticed that the main fuse had 2 different ratings noted (in the below picture, dead centre below the fuse holder). If you are using it with 230v power, to use an T2A fuse, but for 110v, use a T4A.

Can anyone tell me that if I replace the T2A fuse with a T4A, it would work with standard north american 110v power? There are no other visible ratings on any of the other components, like the torodial transformer.

Is this a really bad idea? What's the worst that could happen if I do this, just blow the fuse, right?

Also, when looking up T4A fuses like that (5mm diameter, 20mm length) they are all rated at 250v. I don't really know much about this stuff (as you could probably tell!) but would there be a 110v version I should use?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
No changing the fuse won't work. You'd need to change the transformer inside the amplifier (and then change the fuse to match). It would probably be very difficult and expensive to find the required part.

This simplest solution is to get an external 120v to 240v step up transformer, get something rated for 200W or more. Do not change the fuse if you're using an external transformer.

·
Registered
30,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge /forum/post/20852472

No changing the fuse won't work. You'd need to change the transformer inside the amplifier (and then change the fuse to match). It would probably be very difficult and expensive to find the required part.

This simplest solution is to get an external 120v to 240v step up transformer, get something rated for 200W or more. Do not change the fuse if you're using an external transformer.

Right!

OTOH, some power transformers have dual primary windings and can be rewired to change the acceptable input voltage. This might be possible on the A1.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20852487

Right!

OTOH, some power transformers have dual primary windings and can be rewired to change the acceptable input voltage. This might be possible on the A1.

Any ideas on how to tell? Is there something that I could look at that might indicate that it might be possible? The transformer itself (I assume that is the torodial thing, left hand side) has no obvious markings indicating voltage.

I ask only because I was thrown by the notation regarding 110v by the fuse. I guess they could be standard boards used in both versions, but I thought I would ask. I guess I should remove that board with the fuse, and see what's on the other side.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming if anyone else has any ideas!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 /forum/post/20853176

There would be another set of wires on the primary...there isn't in your case.

There is nothing.

So it's not going to happen, right? Thanks for the reply!

I think a good transformer is going to cost more than the amp is worth. It's too bad, I liked that amp!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Why not ask CA directly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts