AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a system to get component video (YPbPr) to VGA. My setup will take S-Video and VGA, but not component and my DVD player outputs progressive scan only through the component cables. I would be interested if anyone else has experience with a component to vga breakout cable or a component to s-video breakout cable. One of my concerns would be if the progressive output is 640x480 and the native resolution of my LCD is 1024x768... wouldn't that make things blurrier than necessary? I do have a video scaler and deinterlacing box - the Viewsonic VB50HRTV that accepts s-video input and outputs to VGA... so in theory I could get a component to S-Video cable and scale up the resolution. The only problem would be if the VB50HRTV is always expecting interlaced video... wouldn't that mess it up if it tried to deinterlace progress video? The VB50HRTV does accept VGA input, however I think it might be just a passthrough - so that I wouldn't be able to scale up the 640x480 progressive input that comes in on the VGA port... but I would love to be told otherwise! Any ideas?

BTW- the deinterlacing on the VB50HRTV just isn't good enough during fast movement - that's why I would like to get the progressive input from my DVD player which has a Farajouda chip in it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems interesting but it doesn't do scaling and also it's twice as much as I paid for my rp-62!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
480p component capable scalers and quality component->VGA transcoder are not cheap. If you have an older PJ your options are limited to Svideo, HTPC, or >$400 scaler. You can find cheaper scalers like Viewsonic VB50HRTV or Jaton Dreamedia box for $100 but all they will accept is Svideo and composite. Your cheapest scaler with interlaced component will be the AVT-3700 for $350-$400 and progressive component will be the $900 FE CenterStage-HD. 480i (composite, Svideo, and interlaced component) won't take advantage of DCDi on RP62 but you won't miss it as scaling to native resolution of your digital PJ will look much better. If you do want DCDi then you'll have to fork out more money for the CS-HD.

By the way, the link provided goes the opposite way (VGA to component). You need the component to VGA transcoder (similar pricing).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.