AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked several threads before this, and I think I may have stumbled across a couple of them saying they need compression, storage, etc, but I am starting one for a somewhat specific question.

I have a large DVD/BR collection that is still growing, and I have digital copies of most (unfortunately...most are currently poorly ripped, but I'll be re-ripping them soon). I will not be using a HTPC solution for most of the televisions in my apartment, so I am looking for the most versatile solution / file format to convert to.

My media devices will be a HTPC, 2 xbox 360s, and a PS3. The only one hooked up to any sort of decent sound system is the PS3, and it would be preferable to keep 5.1 audio for the PS3. Here are the supported PS3 file types and this is a FAQ I found about Xbox 360 video filetypes.

The reason I created this thread is in the past I tried Xilisoft, a free ps3 converter, and one other one (can't remember the name...Ultimate something) and I never got a "quality" conversion. The audio would always desync, or the "hd 720p" would NOT be anywhere NEAR 720p. So, I need a bit of guidance as to where to start in my search for a decent conversion and/or ripping set. I know this is going to take a while, and am considering upgrading my e6750 to a q9550.

Another alternative, not sure if anyone has any experience with this, is using the CUDA technology to convert. Does anyone know how that turns out? They (badaboom) have a free trial that I will download when I get home tonight and see how it handles HD media.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xazraelx /forum/post/16989401

I checked several threads before this, and I think I may have stumbled across a couple of them saying they need compression, storage, etc, but I am starting one for a somewhat specific question.

I have a large DVD/BR collection that is still growing, and I have digital copies of most (unfortunately...most are currently poorly ripped, but I'll be re-ripping them soon). I will not be using a HTPC solution for most of the televisions in my apartment, so I am looking for the most versatile solution / file format to convert to.

My media devices will be a HTPC, 2 xbox 360s, and a PS3. The only one hooked up to any sort of decent sound system is the PS3, and it would be preferable to keep 5.1 audio for the PS3. Here are the supported PS3 file types and this is a FAQ I found about Xbox 360 video filetypes.

The reason I created this thread is in the past I tried Xilisoft, a free ps3 converter, and one other one (can't remember the name...Ultimate something) and I never got a "quality" conversion. The audio would always desync, or the "hd 720p" would NOT be anywhere NEAR 720p. So, I need a bit of guidance as to where to start in my search for a decent conversion and/or ripping set. I know this is going to take a while, and am considering upgrading my e6750 to a q9550.

Another alternative, not sure if anyone has any experience with this, is using the CUDA technology to convert. Does anyone know how that turns out? They (badaboom) have a free trial that I will download when I get home tonight and see how it handles HD media.

I had success with Nero Recode 3 with the PS3. There is a Sony PS3 profile. For DVD this is trivial since recode can rip and convert on the fly. But for bluray it may be a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I use AnyDVD to rip the movie with soundtrack I want (default 5.1) and then encode it using Super. (sometimes called SuperC, but it's really Super©). Super is freeware and can convert just about ANYTHING into ANYTHING ELSE with full control over video/audio wrappers, codecs, and bitrates.

EDIT: I haven't done anything with any of my HD-DVDs or Blu-Rays, but there is a AnyDVD-HD upgrade that would give me the same functionality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.