AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know and love AC3, that wonderful format that carries 5.1 discrete channels to our dd/dts decoders over a single coaxial or fiberoptic connection. Unfortunately, I dont know of a SINGLE sound card that will convert/multiplex/encode standard directx fare (eax,a3d,etc)into an ac3 stream. The closest i can get is the soundblaster live series which puts out a dolby prologic mix through its digital output.

Why do this? so that i can run the pc games through the same set of speakers that do all the other media stuff that i do.

Right now, you need to use one of those computer speaker setups OR you need to run 6 analog lines to the analog inputs of your decoder/receiver. Does anyone here know of something better?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm with you karos. This should be a no-brainer. Just plug and play.

I use the separate analog lines out (4 ch in my case) of the sound card...

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Karos:

___With X-Box’s native AC-3/5 channel gaming support, you can expect many PC ported titles to include some kind of 5.1 via AC-3 capability in the future. I am not sure how it will be implemented or how good it will be but lets hope for the best. The port may be some kind of EAX to 5.1 DD in real time? 4 speaker gaming is pretty good right now so hopefully these games will have a discrete 5.1 output instead of some mix to create an extra channel or more. I had better do some reading on this for how it is supposed to work … DD/DTS is laid onto DVD’s only as the director wanted you to hear the sound(s) relative to the scene you are viewing. The trick is in creating the proper 5.1 output while the viewer is not fixed to a specific direction or path. If you find anything more on this, I would be interested in a link or two myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I have been waiting for this particular feature on a PC ever since I could pass ac-3 out of my PC. Apparently, it's not as easy as it seems to impliment, or Creative Labs / Microsoft would have offered this a long time ago on the PC.

Although, I will probably buy the Xbox when it comes out. I am hoping someday...not too long from now, to be able to at least do what the xbox does on my HTPC.

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nvidia is making the sound chip for x-box which is supposed to encode ac-3 real time (sorry I don't have the link) hopefully this will eventually filter down to the pc market soon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that AC3 encoding on the fly of D3D games is the next step and Dolby Labs announced it here http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/press/pr1700.html

For those of us who want it now, we'll have to buy the DP569 encoder. (the standard for AC3 creation)

I guess I'll just have to hook up the analog outputs from the live card to my amp directly since my preamp doesnt have 5.1 analog inputs. The only way to use digital output to play games with the Live card is to set the mixer to Live surround-this creates a prologic mix that it sends to the rear channelsas a mono surround track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.