AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say a big THANKS to all who help on this site. I've spent quite a lot of time reading posts and responses and now find myself halfway thru my kindergarten year. I want to develop a dvd that contains videos, jpegs, and HOPEFULLY a directory of my classmates for our 50th high school reunion. (Guess that dates me eh?) ... Does anyone know of a good way to display and record from an internet connection? I've thought of trying to hook up a camcorder to a pc and transmit a signal from the camcorder to a dvr but I don't know if that can be done. ANY suggestions will be appreciated. THANKS! Bob R. :cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but there was a thread in the rec.video.desktop newsgroup a little over a week ago titled "Record What's Happening on Computer Screen". You should be able to find it with Google. According to the information there, Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder (free) will allow you to record your computer's display. Once you've got it recorded, you can transcode it as necessary and work it into a DVD project on the computer. I don't see any reason to include a DVR in the process.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Printer software is available for Windows which "prints" to JPG files. So if you can display it with Internet Explorer, you can print it to a virtual printer created by this software and the result will be a JPG image which you could then incorporate into your DVD using standard DVD authoring software. Search Google for "print to jpg".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2k
First, let me say a big THANKS to all who help on this site. I've spent quite a lot of time reading posts and responses and now find myself halfway thru my kindergarten year. I want to develop a dvd that contains videos, jpegs, and HOPEFULLY a directory of my classmates for our 50th high school reunion. (Guess that dates me eh?) ... Does anyone know of a good way to display and record from an internet connection? I've thought of trying to hook up a camcorder to a pc and transmit a signal from the camcorder to a dvr but I don't know if that can be done. ANY suggestions will be appreciated. THANKS! Bob R. :cool:
If the MS free software is not what you are looking for check this one:

http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are two fairly simple ways to go. First, you need to decide if you want still images of the internet pages or if you want them recorded live as you interact with the computer.

For still images, you will capture the screens and then convert them to an image format that your DVD authoring program can use. Simply click the Print Screen key in Windows when you want to take a picture of the screen. Then open up Windows Paint (or your favorite graphics editor) and select Edit, Paste. Make any changes needed, such as cropping. Then use File, Save As to save in the appropriate file format. BMP will keep full quality, but some DVD authoring programs might be limited to JPG. The same process works on the Mac, but I forget the key combination for screen capture. You can, of course, buy full-featured screen capture software such as Snag-It to do all of this.

For live video, a scan converter is probably the easiest solution. This is a box that converts a VGA signal to a composite or s-video signal. Some computer video cards also have these outputs. Simply connect to the input of a camcorder or DVD recorder. You could also use software like Camtasia or the open source CamStudio to record the video as anb AVI file and then author it. The quality might be a little better than the scan converter, but it's a lot more work.

Do keep in mind that your computer screen has much higher resolution that the DVD or TV can accomodate, so you will lose quality, especially on small text. I recommend doing captures at 640x480. You may also want to increase the font size for better readability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.