Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been transfering shows off my 5040 using ReplayPC. Once on my PC I've tried using TMPGEnc to convert to svcd or dvd. TMPGEnc has puked on the fies and said it's unsupported. I've tried installing the MPEG2 codecs/encoders etc, still no success. I finally broke down and got the plugins for Nero. Nero recognizes the files but only the first 6th or so. For example for a 60 minute show, it sees the first 11 minutes. Odd thing is, if I open in Windows Media player, that sees the same thing as well. If I open in PowerDVD all is fine. Also if I first convert using DVD2AVI all is good as well, I can then open in TMPGEnc and convert to svcd/dvd, though it's a bit blocky, I'm sure that's a bit rate thing. Anyway, anyone have any idea what's going on with not seeing the entire clip?

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same problem w/ Windoze Media PLayer, where it wouldnt always see the whole clip, and the aspect ratio was also massively distored (ie it would show 16:9 shows as 4:3).

I dnloaded the womble editor (trial version, no risk) and have had great success with it, altho I have not tried to convert/make an SVCD, just DVDs at this point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so concerned with how it plays in Windows Media Player, but the fact that the program I use to convert it (Nero w/ plugins) also doesn't see the whole thing.

thanks

Adam

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my 4500 and several mpg editing tools including one that is supposed the best for RTV mpegs (TMPGEnc). After reading other threads I found what seems to be the solution to my problem and hopefully yours. I downloaded timefix.exe from the following site: www.virtual4K.com/files/timefix.htm . I tried it on an hour long program that only showed in the editor as being 1 min. 44 sec. long. It worked beautifully. Since its free, and I think developed by someone from this forum, it may be worth a shot.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been trying to do the same thing. I ended up buying Pinnacle Studio Version 8. It read the file with no problem. I then converted a 60 min show onto a VCD. This played fine on various DVD players that I tested it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been trying to do the same thing. I ended up buying Pinnacle Studio Version 8. It read the file with no problem. I then converted a 60 min show onto a VCD. This played fine on various DVD players that I tested it on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
does Pinnacle or the new Adobe software allow you to edit the MPG's (downloaded via DVArchive or ReplayPC) and put them on DVD? Last time I checked, Womble was really the only program that you could edit the MPG's with (without having to re-mux?) and that screwed up the sound horribly for me. Any suggestions? I really don't have problems burning anything I record on High quality, but I really would love to edit out the commercials so I can fit more on my expensive DVD+RW's!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried TMPGEnc to reencode my first test DVarchive transfer from RTV of a recorded program, as I wanted to use the source range selection to slice of the initial portion of the program, it worked great, as I don't have any program to edit ( precisely cut the unwanted portions of a program like the commercials etc). My Nero burningrom is recognising the reencoded mpeg file well for burning to SVCD, didn't try yet for DVD. Although I really don't think this is the right way as it is unnecessary waste of time reencoding the DVarchive mpeg file.

Any good programs to slice (cut) unwanted programs such as commercials prior to authoring as VCD or SVCd or DVD

thanks

Jingcha

·
Registered
218 Posts
I tried downloading Womble( it is 3.13 ) and it won't open the replay mpegs. It only does mpeg-1 it says. WHat did I do wrong?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been making vcds for sometime from a 4080/4508. I use Sonic Foundry Vegas 3.0 and it works flawlessly. I break the mpeg into 15 minute chapters and render to mpeg 1 or 2. Then use Nero and activate menus. I have even created my own credits in Vegas to go at the beginning of the movie.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
As has been said, womble MPEG2VCR is a Godsend. Specifically, under the Tools menu, there's an item called GOP fixer. Run this on your Replay mpegs before editing them.

As for why TMPGEnc won't open Replay mpegs, I don't have a clue. My TMPGEnc won't open them, either. Not even after I GOP fix and edit them with Womble.

·
Registered
588 Posts
almazza, I haveTMPGEnc Plus-2.53.35.130 and I once had the same problem. The timefix didn't work for me. I think I fixed it by demuxing then reencoding the video only, then remuxing, then extracting the wanted video with mpegtools in Tmpgenc. Do the reencoding before you go to sleep. The problem only happened a couple of times and then problem disappeared. In an old thread, about the time timefix was put out, someone suggested that it was caused by use of the hard drive while recording the affected show. ie using the guides, jumping in the recording show, jumping in another show, etc. Therefore as a suggestion for avoiding the problem in the first place is try not to use the Replay while recording a show you want to save, if the theory is correct. Also maybe the Replay drive was fragmented.

BTW, I say I think I fixed it because I am a multitasker, which makes it hard for me to keep track of everything I do, and I did little changes to this and to that in the same time frame. I was also trying to edit video from a video camera, testing different capture and editing programs.

I am extremely interested in this topic and hope to see more thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. I think I am going to purchase MPEG2VCR, it seems to do all that I need. Once I edit out my commercials I don't really need to bring it into TMPGEnc, I can just burn it with Nero Vision.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvasco
In an old thread, about the time timefix was put out, someone suggested that it was caused by use of the hard drive while recording the affected show. ie using the guides, jumping in the recording show, jumping in another show, etc. Therefore as a suggestion for avoiding the problem in the first place is try not to use the Replay while recording a show you want to save, if the theory is correct.
i tend to belive this myself .. i have learned to not do anything with the replay while it's recording somthing i plan on moving to dvd ( or svcd ) .. acctully i turn the reply off when useing dvarchive .. i noticed this when i was recording a 2 hour move and about 1 1/2 hours into it i started watching a show i recorded eariler that day , when i got the movie onto my system the first 1 1/2 wer fine .. the last 1/2 hour was a gop mess ... womble was able to fix this and i belive it's worth the $ just for this purpose ( a side effect is that it's great for editing out commercials also ) ... this time of year you can allways say "i bought womble as a present to myself" :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wish I could afford Womble. I still can't afford a newer ReplayTV. Someday.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just got Pinnacle Studio 8 as well ($10 after rebate!). However, I can't seem to open my Showstopper clips correctly. The video remains blank and the audio stutters.

Pcdave, what Replay do you have? Did you do anything to the files to get Pinnacle to recognize the extracted MPEGs?

Bshor

Quote:
Originally posted by pcdave3283

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thought you might like to know how I do it.

I use DVArchive to pull the shows off my ReplayTV. I have my ReplayTV plugged into a WAP (wireless access point) via a cross over cable. Then I have a second WAP that plugs into a switch upstairs in the office. ReplayTV over a Wireless network, cost ~$300 and it works like a charm.

I then use Womble to take out the commercials (5 mins interactive) then set up TMPEnc to reencode it to VCD (MPG-1,) or SVCD (MPG-2) (anywhere between 2 and 12 hours depending on whether I choose to smooth the images and remove the noise or not, noise removal is costly). I can share settings, etc. if you want. I get EXCELLENT results. Better than SVCR tape. An hour show recorded on medium quality yields almost a 2 gig file, cut the commercials and it's 1.5 gig. Compress it down to VCD to fit on a CD-R and it's less than .5 gig (about 450 meg).

One out of Twenty shows that I download exhibit the same trouble you described. It's the right size in bytes, but the show only registers 5-11 minutes in Windows Media player and you can't seek through the file. I've noticed this behavior on shows that have also shown some MPEG errors or video signal problems on my TV. For example, while watching a show on my ReplayTV (prior to downloading it) there was a small (less than 2 seconds) MPEG encoding problem in the middle of the show, where the sound bounced around and the picture had bad artifacts (blocky) and then the show played fine on the ReplayTV.

I have to use DVD2AVI to fix these problem MPEGs. I open the MPG with DVD2AVI and use the SAVE AS AVI function off the FILE menu (10 mins). I then get an AVI file and an MPA file. I then unencode the MPA file to WAV with MKW Audio Tool from http://home.att.net/~mkw/mkwact.html (2 mins). I then use Virtualdub with the AVI and WAV file, select the commercials, hit the delete key to delete all the commercials, interlace the audio with every frame, adjust the interleave (usually -10 to -20ms) and create an AVI with sound (10-15 mins). THEN I use TMPEnc to encode it (2 to 12 hours, same as above).

I get higher quality results this way, but it's more cumbersome, eats up an extra 5 gig of space while encoding and compressing (I don't delete the old files until my finished product in case I make a mistake, I can go back and fix it). The trick is the COMPRESSION you choose in DVD2AVI and VirtualDub! I use the JPEG Motion encoder from PICVideo. It's AWESOME! Set the compression on 10 (which is right in the middle) and you get a good balance between file size and quality.

A good link is http://www.vcdhelp.com, click tools for a plethora of kick'n programs to use for computer video.

Djinni
[email protected]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hmmm. Just tried DVD2AVI and when I click "save as AVI", I select "no recompression", it says 'finished' in half a second, and nothing is done.

I have a Showstopper. Perhaps its not recognizing the MPEGs? Is there another way I can demux the file?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.