AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Best Buy store and I saw a DVD player that will play dvd's but also converts the resolution to High Def on the fly. It makes me thinking. There are some movies I've seen that were made in 1994 that were made high definition (such as Schindler's List). They did a good job making it high definition. Correct me if I'm wrong but back then they didn't have high definition. Even ET the movie they did a great job making it high def.

My question is this:

How would I go about transferring standard definition video to High definition? Is there a software I use for that? If so what is it called?

I'm sorry for the dumb questions but I'm new to this and I'm just curious how do they convert all those standard definition videos to high def. I heard that there is a software to do it but it is a really long process.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
If the original content was recorded on film (35mm, and in some cases 16mm), and the film is still available, it can be transferred to HD video, and be considered native HD. This is because film has a higher resolution than HD video. It's no different than taking a new film and transferring it to HD video today. The only issue is what kind of shape the film is in, and with the available digital tools, even a film in poor shape can be restored to excellent condition.

This is why older movies made before HD existed can be transferred to HD video and are native HD. Many old films have been transferred to HD, including Gone With The Wind and The Wizard Of Oz, both made in 1939, and they are now native HD and they look great.

Older TV shows or other programs that were made on SD video before HD existed, can never be transferred to native HD, because SD video resolution is lower than HD.

As for upconverting SD video to HD, it's the video equivalent of adding water to a 1/2 gallon of milk to make a gallon of milk. It's not the same, and can never be the same. As an example, all local HD stations upconvert all SD video to HD, so their video output format is always HD. Watch for content not in HD (usually with 4:3 aspect ratio; bars on both sides of the image), like a syndicated TV show or commercial, and see the difference in video quality between that and a native HD program.

As for converting SD video to HD for your personal use, if you record SD video on a DVD, play it back from a DVD player that upconverts, like the one you saw at BestBuy.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18310537

As for upconverting SD video to HD, it's the video equivalent of adding water to a 1/2 gallon of milk to make a gallon of milk.

This is a very good analogy, and exactly what you get with an upconverting DVD player.
Quote:
Older TV shows or other programs that were made on SD video before HD existed, can never be transferred to native HD, because SD video resolution is lower than HD.

This is currently true, but I think there may be a way to get around this.

I saw a demonstration once where multiple low res photos of a scene were combined into a single high res image. I don't mean that they stitched a bunch of adjacent narrow angle images together to make a single wide angel image, but a bunch of images of the same scene to make a higher resolution image of the same scene.

For example in the image was a completely unreadable license plate. It was unreadable in all of the images. Once the images were combined, the license place was clearly readable.

Now a movie is a series of images of the same scene. So at least for a fixed shot, the background could be improved via this method.

There have also been demonstrations of creating a 3D model of a room by taking a bunch of pictures of the room and combining them. If the two techniques could be combined, one could get high res textures on the surfaces of the 3D model and simulate the room. If one could also create 3D models of the actors, one could conceivably extract the performance & the set, then run a 3D model & reshoot the scene in the 3D model, creating a HD version of the movie. One could even shoot from a different angle.

It won't be easy. It can't be done now. But I would not say it is impossible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information Ken. Makes sense to me now. Just curious, how would I go about transferring old 8mm and 16mm movies onto high definition media? Is there a machine I need to buy for that?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The networks use dedicated hardware scaler systems costing many thousands of $ when they upscasle SD 400pixel per frame content to 1 or 2 megapixel per frame HD resolutions. Every year these systems have better algorithims for inventing the content they need to add but they will of course never be perfect. Some of the upscaling algorithims built into PC graphic cards, HDTVs, or upscaling DVD players do better then others and they do seem to improve slightly every year.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
the easiest way to do that would be to contact a video production company. they will have the tools needed to do that while getting the best quality. you can certainly do it at home for a few hundred bucks, or take it somewhere and let them use very expensive equipment to do it right.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There is probably a local company that willl convert them to SD DVDs and then you can play them on any system that will upscale them or send them from your DVD player to your HD resolution HDTV. I converted my old 8mm to VHS many years ago and then then transferred then to a PC using an analog tuner card and then recorded them from the PC to DVD.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18310537

As for upconverting SD video to HD, it's the video equivalent of adding water to a 1/2 gallon of milk to make a gallon of milk. It's not the same, and can never be the same. .

Yep..you can't turn poo into ice cream no matter how hard you try.. tho the opposite is quite easy..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts