AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post to this forum, I've been around for a while getting some good ideas though. I am in the Air Force and my wife and I recently bought our first home in southern Mississippi. Its a pretty nice first home (approx 1500 sq ft). The property is fully equipped with its own Mother-N-Law suite, which is a separate structure in the back yard (must be a southern thing). Ours is 23' by 16', so its a nice little space. The people we bought the house from used it as a shed/ dog house. Basically it was very dirty and nasty inside. It also had paneling cheaply screwed in for the walls and white board for the ceiling. (I will upload pictures of the whole deal as we go along.) The floor is concrete and it was also equipped with a non-working toilet.

Here are some pictures of the structure when we first bought the house:

This is some of the junk that was left from the previous owners:

·
Registered
201 Posts
We call that a garage or shed up here in the Northeast!

Looks like you have your weekend project lined up for the next few months!

Don't forget the outdoor speakers for sitting on the "porch"

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Surely, the cool bike was not left by the previous owners! A 23x16 space is perfect for a dedicated HT. Though you will have to block a lot of light from all those windows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are very right, it is going to take awhile! I am going to upload a few videos of it. They are uploaded to youtube. Which site would you recommend using to put them on here? Or should I just post the link?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So our plan was to just clean it up and maybe use it as our storage space. I had a couple friends over and we all decided to make a little project out of it, we decided to make it our "Man Cave".

Now that you have a little background on the building, I will bring you up to speed on where we are in the progress. We ripped down all the paneling and white board, ripped out the bathroom that didn't work. We are in the progress of taking down the insulation and checking if its still good, then stapling it back up. We added new outlets and wiring. Did I mention this building was built in the early 80's. So its a lot of prep work that needs to be done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The plan is to mount the LCD in the corner to the right of the bar. We are using a pass through to hide all the AV wires.

Here are some pictures:

40" Samsung 5-series LCD

Cantilever Wall Mount

8ft AV Cables

What will be behind the LCD - pass through/ cable/ outlet

7ft Strip light over the bar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lookin pretty nice dude. Im in the AF as well and we just PCS'd to Lakenheath... we're renting though so I don't want to really upgrade my house. I hate renting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comment bro! I've luckily been stationed down here at Keesler my entire career and hopefully that doesn't change. I've only got 2 years left and I'm out, which is fine with me.
Be Safe!

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
First, I thank you for your service in the Air Force. I appreciate you and the other men and women in our armed services who are willing to serve.

Second, nice progress on the MIL suite. This is the perfect place for a "Man Cave" for sure. It is also nice to see your SO working along side of you to help (especially with nasty itchy insulation) you get your project rolling. Maybe it is just to get you out of your house though. :cool:

Keep the progress rolling and keep the pictures and videos coming so all of us can stay up with your progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry its been so long since my last update, I'm tasked with Honor Guard (we honor those who pass that are veterans, retired or active duty) and I was pulling a casket out of a Hurst and pulled a muscle in my lower back. Usually the funeral director tells us if the casket's unusually heavy, but this one failed to do so. So I've been laid up for the past two weeks or so. I'm starting to feel better and have been doing some work here and there. I guess I've done quite a bit in the last few days, I have pictures and videos to share... So here goes...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RTROSE, Thank you for your reply. I've been down for a little bit, but I'm going to start the updates again tonight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some pics of my progress before I got hurt:

Ran all speaker wires for 5.1 and 2 outdoor speakers

Where the 6 Speaker wall plate and bottom pass thru will be

Outdoor Speaker over the pool area -wired

Outdoor speaker over the entrance door -wired

Installing new romex 12/2 cable from the outlet over the pool table to hard wire the 7ft strip light over the bar

Pic of my water line and large hole from something...

Close up of the water inlet and large hole in the side of my "MC" I have plans for these

Our new faucet for the pool and to cover the hole, i've got an outside waterproof receptacle

My cable line from the house before I hooked it up

I buried the Cable ran to the house

Cable under the sidewalk

This is what the cable lines look like when they get to the house WOW

Notice there is no light above the man cave sign... Just wait...

Tada.... Here it is with the new light, I don't like the bulb that's in it so it going bye bye, its really bright though

And finally the videos of the progress in the last few days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ixe5tyYeW4

Daytime video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0saRYd2hzE

These pictures I feel good about, I wired this up with no prior knowledge of electricity at all.... Well I did have youtube... lol

I wired up a switch on the light installed outside, it was wired straight to the breaker box

Wired up the switch to the light and also powered the outside power outlet below

Converted the single switch to a double to include the outside light and the pool table/ bar lights

Let me know what you think so far.... Any suggestions greatly appreciated, like what stand should I use under the hanging LCD and what to do about the gap on the sides of the foundation???

More to come.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts