AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I download 4 hour long NASCAR races each week and end up with approximately 30 GIG .TS files. What is the simplest solution to convert these TS files to a more manageable format that can be played in all the popular media players and edited in Sony Vegas and Windows Movie Maker?

This is how i currently tackle this:

1. Convert my .TS file to .MPEG using a .TS to .MPEG converter (the 30 GIG file will now be reduced to only 29 GIG). It takes about an hour to convert 4 hours of content so the conversion seems very fast and there is absolutely no quality loss.

2. Use Boilsoft Video Splitter (freeware) to split the race highlights that i'm interested in converting to AVI.

3. Take the short highlights, and use XviD4PSP 5.0 (freeware) to convert the .MPEG clips to .AVI X264.

The good news...

Using this 3 step system i am able to achieve an AVI file that looks identical to the original .TS file in a side by side comparison. Also a 1 minute clip will be reduced from 40 MB to around 10MB. So in a nutshell it reduced the size to an acceptable level with absolutely no quality loss to the naked eye. Also, XviD4PSP 5.0 is an easy one click solution to convert your files down with all the necessary x264 profiles already preloaded into the software. It literally took me 2 minutes to start creating absolutely perfect quality AVI files (I tried MEGUI but it was a lot more complex and intimidating to use).

The bad news

My converted .AVI clip constantly freezes up on VLC (which is usually able to tackle anything you throw at it) and I get a black screen when importing the file into both Sony Vegas and Windows Movie Maker (audio will play back fine). The file does play perfectly fine on Windows Media Player though.

So ultimately I would love to find software that can easily convert a large 30 gig TS file to an AVI file that is at least ¼ that size and have it convert it quickly.. I was hoping around an hour instead of a day.

Any suggestions for a struggling newbie?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Here's the process I use (basketball and football games instead of racing):

1) Capture from Comcast DVR using CapDVHS

2) Edit with VideoRedo to clip start/finish and edit out commercials/halftime

Steps 3 and beyond are done with MeGUI, can also be done with individual tools

3) Create D2V file and demux audio (AC3) - Tools/D2V Creator

4) Create Avisynth script, usually shoot for ~4K bit rate and 720p resolution - Tools/Avisynth Creator

5) Load audio for conversion to multichannel AAC (128Kbps)

6) Load AVS script to convert video to H264

7) After conversion, mux to either MP4 or TS file - Tools/Mux

Step 7 depends on the source, for some reason ESPN caps will lose audio sync in an MP4 container, so I use TS for those.

This gives me a very good result, usually a 2.5 - 3 GB file from a 10-12 GB capture. Plays on all my PCs and my Popcorn Hour A100.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
1. Capture from DirecTV HR22 receiver with Hauppauge HD-PVR to H.264/AC3 5.1 TS file.

2. Edit TS file with VideoRedo H.264

3. Load into Ripbot264, set MKV profile and resolution, process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your timely replies!

It sounds like VideoRedo is a popular choice to edit out the commercials. Is there any quality loss when you edit the commercials out using this program?

Also how long should i expect it to take to convert a 30 GIG .TS file to X264 using either RipBot264 or MEGUI? Again it only took me 1 hour to convert a 30 gig .TS file to .MPEG but i don't know if it's a lot more labor intensive to convert to .AVI, .MP4, .somethingelse.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
VideoRedo only re-encodes the cut points, I believe so essentially it leaves the stream untouched. It will take considerably longer to convert from MPEG2 to H264. When you're "converting" a TS file to MPEG you're just changing the container and not touching the actual content. Going from an MPEG2 TS to H264 is re-encoding the video and that takes time. I have a Core Duo 3.2 GHz processor and 4GB RAM, converting a 10 GB basketball game to a 3 GB H264 file usually takes 6-8 hours, I generally get them set up and let them run overnight, that's to get a pretty high quality result, you can vary the profile you use to trade off quality for time. I'd suggest clipping out 5 minutes from one of your captures and trying out some of the different profiles to see what makes sense for you.

Pagali, is the H264 version of VideoRedo free or did you have to upgrade? I have the MPEG2 version.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE /forum/post/18321810

Pagali, is the H264 version of VideoRedo free or did you have to upgrade? I have the MPEG2 version.

Yes, there's an upgrade price, but it's not too steep, and it's well worth it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone, i'm still struggling to find a setup that i'm happy with. I have a sample clip that i've been trying to convert using XviD4PSP 5.0 and i've been less then happy with my results. Can someone show me what's possible with the system they are currently using so i can get an apples to apples comparison? Maybe i'm really not that far off.

The sample clip is an .MPG file that is 13 seconds long and 23.4 MB big. Ultimately i would like to get a file that is under 6 MB and without any noticeable quality loss from the original. Is this even realistic?

Anyways, if anyone is up to the challenge i would be forever grateful and it would really help me out to see how far off i am.

The sample file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?eylgcygmz5n

Thanks,

Stasis096

1 - 7 of 7 Posts