AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure that this is the right forum for this thread and if it is not, please feel free to move it...My question in the following. I have a whole bunch of the Disney classic movies on VHS which we bought when they were the best thing along. Of course then came the DVD and these have been languishing on our shelves. I wanted to know whether there is any way for me to convert these movies into mp4 or other video formats so that I can store them on my HTPC. any and all help would be greatly appreciated, especially by my daughter who has been unable to watch these and we refuse to buy them all over again.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i'm no expert, but was trying to help a family member do that too. I think you'd need a dvd recorder of some type, the stand alone dvd/vhs combo dvd recorder type of machine. I think there is some type of composite/usb adapter that you could use to connect the VCR and PC to capture what's playing on the VCR with a pc that has some type of movie maker software.

If I'm not mistaken my old ATI TV Wonder card had some type of adapter to attach the composite signals from a player to the pc card to capture the video.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Having done this in the past I used:

1) a VCR for playback connected to

2) an adapter in my PC that accepted composite output from the VCR, and

3) capture software on the PC (usually available with the adapter).

I have an avemedia card in one of my PCs now that I use to capture standard definition video from a DirecTV d10-200 STB with either SageTV or Windows 7 Media Center. These programs could just as easily be capturing video from a VCR playing an old VHS tape. Use the "timed" recording option in either program and experiment a little with your VCR and you will soon get the video files you want.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Keep in mind that the Disney commercial VHS tapes have the analog Macrovision protection on them (and worst one at that), and will be impossible to copy them without defeating the protection first.

That said, if you have the Hauppauge 1212 or Colossus card you can record direct from VHS to MP4 format (but you will still need to deal with the CP first).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20772733

You should first see about just replacing them with DVDs or BluRays. Fastest, easiest way to do it, and you get a full menu system.

+1, much easier, less aggravating and far, far better picture quality.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE
+1, much easier, less aggravating and far, far better picture quality.
+ 2, the only VHS I could every imagine converting to mp4 would be home movies that are other wise irreplaceable. Replacing your daughter's favorite movies will probably cost about the same as buying the necessary hardware and software.

I have every disney movie known to man, but my kids only watch about 4 of them. Just buy her favorite movies on blu-ray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.