AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not as bad this season, but quite often there were nights with three or four things on at the same time. With one replay, I could only record one of them, I would record another on the VCR , and watch a third live. But I have to be there to catch three, and could never catch four, without a second unit. I'll also give you another one: I am stuck with A/B cable here. With two units, you use one for A and one for B, makes life MUCH easier. Oh, and another one: If one breaks, I still have a Replay to use. Life without a Replay, even for a day or two, is now impossible.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Why do I have multiple Replays?

1) Recording multiple shows at once, because I run into scheduling conflicts far more often than I run out of disk space

2) Because I'm a totally unrepentant gadget freak, and if one expensive black box with lots of jacks on the back is worth my money, then two are doubly worth my money

3) Bragging rights

4) Otherwise, operating my A/V system would be easier. Of course it takes a half an hour to turn the system on. That's the whole point.

5) A skewed sense of loyalty

6) Because it isn't made by Microsoft

What setup do I have that makes sense?

I'll tell you when I figure one out, although the networking abilities of the 4000 units certainly adds an interesting dimension to the distribution of AV signals in my apartment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With two units I can have all my spouse's programs on a separate unit. This includes almost the whole HGTV lineup, some British PBS stuff, and MTV's The Real World.

Occassionally I can 'borrow' hers when there's 2 shows to be recorded at the same time.

Unless you can program one yourself, go to FleaBay and pick-up a same-room multiple-Replay remote. I recommend the seller [email protected]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riker
Not as bad this season, but quite often there were nights with three or four things on at the same time.
Yah, I noticed that, too.

Last year, seemed like all my boxes (2 Replays, 1 TiVo) were always full. Not really full, but at least containing more stuff than I have time to watch. Then, over the summer... what a dry spell. Both replays were completley empty most of the time. The TiVo just prattled away recording crap I'd already seen, but all in all, who really gives a fig what my TiVo does?

I really looked forward to this fall, 'cause I am a couch potato and everything... But now that we're here in the fall, seems like I run into a couple nights of 2-way conflicts (Wednesday and Thursday), but I haven't really seen any show accumulation yet.

Bummer. TV really is showing a negative air pressure this fall...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpattnaik
Unless you can program one yourself, go to FleaBay and pick-up a same-room multiple-Replay remote. I recommend the seller [email protected]
Ok, I'm a little clue-challenged here. Same-room multiple-Replay remote? I been away too long.

Anyone? Anyone? Robman?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
right now i've got shows stacked up the wazoo, haven't watched 20% of the new fall prime-time stuff i've recorded, but once we hit the standard month-long reruns it'll be nice to have all these shows...just a few examples of conflicts:

ed vs. enterprise

friends vs. survivor

amazing race vs. west wing

gilmore girls vs. undeclared

24 vs. frasier

(wow i am such a loser)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I know that part of the reason is that Fox hasn't started it's season because of boringball, and I watch a lot of stuff on Fox. It will get worse I'm sure ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Toots, a remote which will control multiple units independently. Otherwise one remote will operate all units simultaneously. The cheaper solution is to always have one unit on, one unit off, and 'toggle' between the two.

Tony

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ah. I've just programmed unit specific discreet on/off codes into my Pronto, but otherwise just do the one on, other off thing (with occasionally catastrophic results, if anything having to do with television could be a catastrophe).

Lizard Boy:

I'm right there with you on The Amazing Race vs. West Wing (how 'bout them "Bert & Ernie!"), and I can kinda understand Ed vs. Enterprise, but the rest... I'd be worried.

Take my word for it. I've got a doctorate in clinical psychology; I'm qualified to say these things. Report to a professional immediately.

;)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots

I'm right there with you on The Amazing Race vs. West Wing (how 'bout them "Bert & Ernie!"), and I can kinda understand Ed vs. Enterprise, but the rest... I'd be worried.

Take my word for it. I've got a doctorate in clinical psychology; I'm qualified to say these things. Report to a professional immediately.

;)
damn you woman - water just came out my nose for the first time in years

has anyone else been watching the amazing race ?? - other than survivor none of the reality shows caught my interest - but this show is incredibly addictive/entertaining...they did a great job 'casting' the teams

tpattnaik - 24 doesn't start for another week or two...just looking ahead

i will say that with 2 replays i'm willing to 'sample' shows i normally would have blown off...i've taped all the law-and-order: criminal intent eps so far but have yet to watch it, same thing for undeclared...looks funny...maybe i'll get around to watching it, if not the 'delete' button works wonders

with 2 tuners and a total of 250 hours of storage i've reached a point where conflicts/space are not an issue

the only problem i have is alias/l&o:ci/band of brothers sunday nights...but band is on all the time on hbo...i've just been grabbing a monday or tuesday re-run

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Was that one or two nostrils? Dual-nostril horks are truly the pinnacle of achievement!

I haven't induced a two nostril hork in nearly 15 years.

Course that one was mega-successful. It wasn't liquid - it was tuna salad. My boss. Best part was that she was horking at my implementation of a prank that she put me up to. I just caught her off guard.

Seeing that tuna salad streaming out of her nose, I wanted to run home and find my old "Play Doh Fun Factory" dies...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Oh yeah, as for Amazing Race:

That thing's wikkit good, as they say a little to the south of me. I even got a Survivor-hating friend hooked on it.

It's just good clean fun to see all those couples self-destructing on national TV like that! Also, kind of exciting, since their tasks do seem relevant to being in a race - I mean, they're supposed to figure out how to get somewhere.

Personally, I watch it, and Survivor because after spending years studying the human psyche, I've come to the inevitable conclusion that people just suck, and that these shows are documentaries on that fact.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whoa toots, a doctorate level education in psych and the answer to the universe is "people suck"? :D I love it. Now that one's worth a nose squirt!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.