AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a floorstanding speaker setup for pure music quality and looking in the ~$1000 price range. The first floorstanding speaker I heard was the Klipsch RF-7 and for some reason, that speaker has stuck in my head. I've only heard a few other speakers such as the Paradigm lineup. On the boards it seems Klipsch is not very highly recommended. RF-7's are currently very cheap on eBay and seem like a great buy. I am interested only in music sound quality in my setup (and am looking closely at the NAD C372 amp). Please offer any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbojangles /forum/post/0

I am in the process of buying a floorstanding speaker setup for pure music quality and looking in the ~$1000 price range. The first floorstanding speaker I heard was the Klipsch RF-7 and for some reason, that speaker has stuck in my head. I've only heard a few other speakers such as the Paradigm lineup. On the boards it seems Klipsch is not very highly recommended. RF-7's are currently very cheap on eBay and seem like a great buy. I am interested only in music sound quality in my setup (and am looking closely at the NAD C372 amp). Please offer any advice. Thanks.

Though there are a number of posters who don't particularly care for what they describe as the "Klipsch sound", go visit the Klipsch Owners thread for a different view.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=680426

The RF7 is large, efficient, and requires a stable amplifier capable of handling the load. Though efficient, it benefits from as much clean power as you can provide.

If you are going to act, now would be the time when prices are low and the supply is still sort of there. However, since it is a discontinued product, your choices when it comes to a pair that is new are diminishing day by day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Klipsch are very efficient speakers. I really like the sound of a good horn speaker. Any speaker that can really zone in on the soft high tones are a favorite in my book. Speakers like this are one of those that have a love it or hate it relationship. I really enjoy being able to hear the extra little details in a movie with speakers of this caliber vs speakers with dome tweaters. It really depends on you and the other people that live with you. Klipsch is certainly a 'brighter' speaker than other speakers but its also highly sensitive and takes very little power to make loud and is excellent in getting all the small sound details in. I own the similar acoustech brand of speakers right now and I am always complimented on how my system picks up small detail sounds that other systems cant. Only you can decide whats right for your ears though.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Don't jump into something you are unsure of even if it seems like a good deal, because a good deal really isn't a good deal if you don't like the speakers.

On any given day a good deal is lurking somewhere if you are willing to find it and pull the trigger when you do. Sure, sometimes you'll miss out, but sometimes you'll score an even better deal.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you like them buy them. Why worry about what us idiots have to say, you're going to use them.

No speaker is perfect and engineers can't even agree on what a perfect speaker should do much less actually make one. What that means is that all speakers have various strengths and weaknesses and that picking a speaker is a subjective decision.

Get what you like and anybody who doesn't like it can go to the Devil.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/0

The RF7 is large, efficient, and requires a stable amplifier capable of handling the load. Though efficient, it benefits from as much clean power as you can provide.

If you are going to act, now would be the time when prices are low and the supply is still sort of there.

I own the RF-7's and agree with peter. I also would not purchase any speakers without hearing them--That being said, I can't imagine you not being able to sell them for close to what you paid for them if you don't like them.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/0

I own the RF-7's and agree with peter. I also would not purchase any speakers without hearing them--That being said, I can't imagine you not being able to sell them for close to what you paid for them if you don't like them.

+1 on the listening part.

That said, I also agree that there are enough people who appreciate the Klipsch brand that it would be fairly easy to sell them if they didn't work out.

I'll add just one more caution: make sure you are planning to do some sound treatment in the room in which the Klipsch are to be used.

The Klipsch have a very pronounced, clear high end. Unfortunately, if they are placed in a room with high ceiling, losts of glass/reflective surfaces, hardwood floors with no area rugs, no window treatment or sparse furniture, the high end may be overemphasized.

In a surprising number of cases, room treatment is an afterthought, or worse, not a thought at all. When I read negative posts about Klipsch, I often wonder under what conditions they have been heard.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/0

Don't buy them. There, are you convinced yet?

I second this recommendation.

·
Banned
929 Posts
If you like loud music ALL the time buy the Klipsch. If you want to hear more details and still be able to get loud fairly often go back and have a listen to the Paradigms you already checked out. The Monitor line, IMHO, plays almost as loud as Klipsch, but sounds better at more realistic levels.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Don't buy them until you've ascertained that they are the best speakers for your preferences and needs.

If they're the right speakers, buy them. If they're not, then don't buy them.

But it does not seem at all that you're capable of making that decision because you haven't even really gone auditioning to see what you like.

·
Banned
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 /forum/post/0

Andrew W.K. gave the RF-7's a very favorable review in Playboy a while back.

Scott

I think the Bose Wave radio got a favorable review a while back as well.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
No speaker is perfect and engineers can't even agree on what a perfect speaker should do much less actually make one.

Oh no, it's all about a flat FR, that's what matters

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you decide to get the RF7s (awesome speakers btw, at least to my ears) - I would choose another amp than the NAD C372.. There is just NO way you can enjoy the music while playing LOUD with the C372, - it's a bad combo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myggpower /forum/post/0

If you decide to get the RF7s (awesome speakers btw, at least to my ears) - I would choose another amp than the NAD C372.. There is just NO way you can enjoy the music while playing LOUD with the C372, - it's a bad combo.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am curious about why you say the C372 and the RF-7 would be a bad combo. I haven't heard them together, but is there some technical reason they would sound bad together?

Quote:

+1 on the listening part.

That said, I also agree that there are enough people who appreciate the Klipsch brand that it would be fairly easy to sell them if they didn't work out.

I'll add just one more caution: make sure you are planning to do some sound treatment in the room in which the Klipsch are to be used.

The Klipsch have a very pronounced, clear high end. Unfortunately, if they are placed in a room with high ceiling, losts of glass/reflective surfaces, hardwood floors with no area rugs, no window treatment or sparse furniture, the high end may be overemphasized.

In a surprising number of cases, room treatment is an afterthought, or worse, not a thought at all. When I read negative posts about Klipsch, I often wonder under what conditions they have been heard.

The room the speakers will be in is about 20x12x8 ft with full carpet, some furniture and a bar with glass block windows (its the basement). From your post, it sounds like the room will be good for the speakers? Any more info?

Thanks again guys. I am continuing my search and found a pair of Paradigm's I really liked, although they are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbojangles /forum/post/0

Thanks for the replies guys....

The room the speakers will be in is about 20x12x8 ft with full carpet, some furniture and a bar with glass block windows (its the basement). From your post, it sounds like the room will be good for the speakers? Any more info?

Well, by comparison, my HT room has wall to wall carpeting, heavy drapes on the windows (I have an RP HDTV so I need a darkened room), heavy furniture, plus bookcases. There are so many sound absorbers that the Klipsch sound wonderful!

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:

Well, by comparison, my HT room has wall to wall carpeting, heavy drapes on the windows (I have an RP HDTV so I need a darkened room), heavy furniture, plus bookcases. There are so many sound absorbers that the Klipsch sound wonderful!

Mine are in a 225 sq ft/ 1800 cu ft library on the second floor with a high (peak at approx 14 ft) A-Frame ceiling in front and a small Foyer-type area with a slanted (peak 6.5 ft) ceiling behind my seat, which has my rear surrounds and rear sub. I have large windows that have thick drapes and Berber carpet. Fwiw, I am thrilled with my Denon AVR 4806 driving my HT.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you are going with the RF7's mainly for music, I would look at something else in that price range.

I had the RF7 towers, RC7 center, and RS7 surrounds. For movies, it was a very good setup. It was very dynamic. For 2 channel music, the RF7 towers were extremely bright. My room is fairly live to begin with, but the RF7 towers were so bright that after about 5 minutes of listening I had to leave the room. I was using a B&K 507 receiver to power them also. There are plenty of good options out there, I would go and listen to a bunch before you make a decision. Just because the prices are good on the RF7 towers right now, doesn't mean they are worth the price. Good luck with whatever you go with.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts