AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/0

So have you figured out that there is a different opinion for every person on here. And a lot of them will label you as an idiot if you don't agree with theirs.

I would label as an idiot someone who cares about sound and doesn't audition a speaker prior to purchasing unless of course they have return prvileges, can flip the speaker at little or no loss, or have money to burn.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My friend has a pair of RF-7s. I think they are fantastic for home theater application, but have two main flaws when it comes to using them for music. The first being that the dual 10" woofers are not the ideal size for producing the mid-range, which leads them to sound a bit muddy in this area. The second being the harsh timbre of the horns on some of the higher frequencies, particularly 15khz around. This is especially noticeable with female vocals.

For 1000 bucks, I would look into some of the Paradigm products, perhaps the Polk LSi, B&W, and Canton bookshelves as well. Higher end bookshelves are suitable for music unless you are a fan of organ, techno, etc... And there's always the DIY/custom build option too.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Tonyg I totally agree you need to listen before you buy. My point was don't just believe all the bs on here about speakers, just find the ones you like and get them. I have seen people on here who were happy as hell with the brand they picked until someone said something negative about them. And I don't really care what brand you are talking about someone has something negative to say about them.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcceCapsa /forum/post/0

The second being the harsh timbre of the horns on some of the higher frequencies, particularly 15khz around. This is especially noticeable with female vocals.

I wasn't going to respond anymore on this thread until I saw this.
I am a big Dido and Sarah MClachlan fan and use Sarah's "Afterglow Live" DVD as Reference material when auditioning systems and I disagree completely with this assessment. I can't contradict what anyone's personal experience is, but the female vocalist I listen to sound sublime on my system.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcceCapsa /forum/post/0

The second being the harsh timbre of the horns on some of the higher frequencies, particularly 15khz around. This is especially noticeable with female vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/0

I wasn't going to respond anymore on this thread until I saw this.
I am a big Dido and Sarah MClachlan fan and use Sarah's "Afterglow Live" DVD as Reference material when auditioning systems and I disagree completely with this assessment. I can't contradict what anyone's personal experience is, but the female vocalist I listen to sound sublime on my system.

I must agree with ZenTraveler. There are *no* female vocalists who can hit 15 kHz. If you are hearing harshness in female voices, it is at frequencies well below 15 kHz.

Craig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
as far off topic as the thread has progressed, i have finally been convinced by craig john with his comment on female vocalists. I auditioned a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's and have found my new favorite speaker.

EDIT: I'm thinking about picking up a vintage Sansui G-8700DB receiver for them until I can round up some more money for a good amplifier setup. Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I should have been more clear, my fault. There seems to be a noticeable harshness/spike in the speakers around 15khz with my friend's RF-7s. This number is not based on any testing with equipment but rather based on estimates of others who work with pro-audio equipment while listening to The Postal Service and other various tecnho/electronic music. Female vocals are noticeably harsh with these horns compared to say, the Vifa XT25 in my Zaph ZD5s. Apologies if the two comments seemed to be making the same point.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/0

Tonyg I totally agree you need to listen before you buy. My point was don't just believe all the bs on here about speakers, just find the ones you like and get them. I have seen people on here who were happy as hell with the brand they picked until someone said something negative about them. And I don't really care what brand you are talking about someone has something negative to say about them.

If you go from liking something to not liking something after a comment, either a) you're really insecure or b) the comment had a big grain of truth in it.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Alimentall: That makes absolutely zero sense.

mpbojangles: I've listened to Paradigms before (although not those particular models) and liked their neutrality as compared to the Klipsches. They're not quite as efficient but that's easily fixed with a good amp. You're definitely going to be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/0

Alimentall: That makes absolutely zero sense.

It makes nothing but sense to a logical person. Do I have to explain it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Agree... Dido and Sarah are fantastic singers and great reference material for music auditioning. But I would also suggest, If your really want a source material to evaluate a speaker's ability to handle a difficult female high frequency range, to listen to Enya's Amarantine. In certain parts of the chorus lines, she hits a specific frequency that makes most mid level speaker tweeters resonate like a rusted church bell. Really grates on your nerves, but at the same time, it exposes those speaker's inability to handle those frequencies smoothly. No such issues with my system. In fact, the transition to, through, and out of that frequency range is smooth and very engaging. Norah Jones is another great voice, for those that like her music style, that can be used as a great reference material for two channel applications.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
...good choices....in addition, I use Alison Krauss and Sarah Brightman.

A little more esoteric: Amici. You should be able to pick out the individual voices and also hear a simultaneous blend.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbojangles /forum/post/0

as far off topic as the thread has progressed, i have finally been convinced by craig john with his comment on female vocalists. I auditioned a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's and have found my new favorite speaker.

EDIT: I'm thinking about picking up a vintage Sansui G-8700DB receiver for them until I can round up some more money for a good amplifier setup. Any comments or suggestions?

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the RF-7's impart a harshness to female voices. I was merely pointing out that female voices do not extend to 15 kHz. I listen to Nora Jones and Diana Krall in Multi-channel on my RB-75's, (the bookshelf equivalent of the RF-7's), RC-7, RS-7 and JL Audio sub and I don't hear any harshness imparted to their voices. Nor has anyone else who's ever heard my system commented that female voices sounded harsh.

Craig

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would tend to think his mind was already made up before asking. Why would he start a thread on THIS forum asking people to convince him to not buy Klipsch? Seems that there are more than enough posts by people bashing Klipsch. Whatever. Hopefully he got something that the masses agree on.

·
Banned
729 Posts
Nah. Paradigm are a poor value. According to the Ascend crowd, the CBM-170 is superior to the Studio 20, and is less than half the price. I've heard from AV123 folks that the X-LS is even better than that for $220. And for the bashers that say "what about the bass", add a Hsu STF-2 to the mix to get cleaner, deeper bass than a Studio 60 could manage, and call it a day. Sorry mpbojangles.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts

Quote:

Everyone can breathe again. I bought Paradigm Studio 60v3's. I like.

Congratulations. Enjoy your speakers.

Craig

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:

Everyone can breathe again. I bought Paradigm Studio 60v3's. I like.

Thank God! Given your rationale for not buying the Klipsch, please don't come on here and report that the reason you didn't buy the RF-7's was because YOU didn't like the way female vocals sounded on the RF-7's.

I understand why Wolfsbane prefers his newer generation of Klipsch speakers {edit: given his stated reasons}but suffice it to say I'm not going out of my way to find material that I normally don't listen to make my RF-7's look bad.
I took Sarah Mclachlan's Afterglow DVD in as well as the Talking heads dualdisk with "Burning Down the House" in multi channel to audition the current Klipsch lineup. The RF-83's and RC-64 would not be an "upgrade" to my current system (Imho of course).

I also can't contradict EcceCapsa's reasoning for not liking the groups he mentioned on the RF-7's because I have no expereince with that music.

I listen to my own genre of music and decide if I like the way it sounds on my HT or any others I happen to be auditioning. Given I love chicks singin' to me, I can attest that the Dixie Chicks, Jewel, Alanis Morriset, Sheryl Crow and Terri Nunn, as well as the ones already mentioned, all sound great in my Home Theater.

BTW mpbojangles, Enjoy the Paradigms.

·
Registered
16,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M /forum/post/0

Nah. Paradigm are a poor value. According to the Ascend crowd, the CBM-170 is superior to the Studio 20, and is less than half the price. I've heard from AV123 folks that the X-LS is even better than that for $220. And for the bashers that say "what about the bass", add a Hsu STF-2 to the mix to get cleaner, deeper bass than a Studio 60 could manage, and call it a day. Sorry mpbojangles.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be dripping with sarcasm or not.

If not, then I say, well, of course the Ascend fans and the AV123 fans are going to say their speakers are better. They always do!

41 - 60 of 131 Posts