AVS Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
This whole thread has me feeling like I am in the Twilight Zone. I actually know John and was a regular in his store for about two years. I purchased my 5 NHT Superones from him some 7 years ago. While in his store I cannot remember a time when he exhibited the arrogance and know it all mentality I see here. I can only recall him making one negative comment about B&W after I mentioned that I wanted to visit a local dealer for a listen.

I can remember spending hours sitting in his listening room going through CD after CD in both my collection and his. Contrary to some of the beliefs on here his business practices are top notch. I can remember him allowing my brother in law to test speaker after speaker in his home for days until he finally settled on the M6's (I think).

I am not sure what it is but I honestly believe that half of you on here would get along well with John if you were to walk into his store.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/0

I agree that you should definitely try out music that you listen to. But most people would also bring something like maybe some solo piano, solo classical guitar, female vocals, male vocals, saxophone, trumpet, etc., etc..

(BTW, I always like looking at your set up, Scott. So clean looking. Are those hockey pucks underneath your sub?)

Absolutely. I brought TOOL, Nine Inch Nails, Crystal Method....Diana Krall, Norah Jones and Patricia Barber. You could not bring a more schizophrenic collection of music...

But I do like to hear what a speaker can do with rough recordings (Tool), "busy" music (NIN), bass heavy (Crystal Method) and subtle/nuanced/well recorded stuff (good female vocalists).

I said it somewhere else before, but...if Zamfir should happen to produce the world's cleanest, most revealing recording, I don't care. I'm just not going to listen to it. I don't want it to sound like he's right THERE in my living room. He's not welcome...nor is his pan flute...

Thanks for the setup compliment. It's still a work in progress (but then again, who's isn't). And indeed, they are hockey pucks...but they are AUDIOPHILE grade hockey pucks...

Scott

·
Banned
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/0

Does it matter? The purchasing decision has been made!

This is an example of arrogance and bad attitude. You could have and should have said something like; oh well he bought what he bought, we can keep the thread going anyway.

I posted this since you asked for examples several posts back.

·
Registered
16,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 /forum/post/0

I said it somewhere else before, but...if Zamfir should happen to produce the world's cleanest, most revealing recording, I don't care. I'm just not going to listen to it. I don't want it to sound like he's right THERE in my living room. He's not welcome...nor is his pan flute............

Pan flute would actually not be a bad choice for ONE of many recordings that someone would bring to audition speakers. You know, you'd want to hear those "liquid highs".

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:

... At this point, I've sold too much, done too much, experienced too much to be bullied or convinced by a fan of a particular brand just because they like it. Klipsch wasn't able to buy 6+ other brands of speakers and electronics because they operate on razor thin, customer friendly margins, for example.

We all have different life experiences and I too get tired of debating another persons personal preference, regardless if they sell speakers or not. I also might add that Fred Klipsch was an investment banker before he became President of his Uncle's company and I contend that goes along way on getting capitol to purchase other companies. Insofar as their margins are concerned--I am happy with the bang for my buck I received for my Klipsch Home Theater and would gladly pay less if I could find the deal;-)

·
Registered
16,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthed /forum/post/0

This is an example of arrogance and bad attitude. You could have and should have said something like; oh well he bought what he bought, we can keep the thread going anyway.

In all fairness, he posted that in response to what I said in Post#114 regarding Post#56.

·
Registered
16,829 Posts
Come on, guys! Everyone is headed over to the "biwire thread"!

Gonna be a real HORROR SHOW!

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemHouston /forum/post/0

I am not sure what it is but I honestly believe that half of you on here would get along well with John if you were to walk into his store.

Thanks! But....only half?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthed /forum/post/0

I think this is a perfect example of people reading into something what is not there! It's also a perfect example of how many people want everyone to say everything with this softball, weanie, timid manner. I was joking around, actually. I think evil milesdavis figured *that* out.

·
Banned
929 Posts

Quote:

I think this is a perfect example of people reading into something what is not there! It's also a perfect example of how many people want everyone to say everything with this softball, weanie, timid manner. I was joking around, actually. I think evil milesdavis figured *that* out.

Apology accepted.

Or did I read into an apology that wasn't there?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Touché

121 - 131 of 131 Posts