AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that Fallout 3 doesn't suck.

I read all the glowing reviews, played both the original PC titles, and rented the current sequel. I was never a fan of the Oblivion title and this is how Fallout 3 came across to me. I really want to like it but the slow movement of the character keeps me from buying it. Was that something I did or is that how it is?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That's how it is. I'd try to convince you it doesn't suck, but I'm too busy playing it
Plus, you didn't like Oblivion so I wouldn't bother, honestly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i dl'd the demos to dead space, killzone 2, and a 3rd title, cant remember which. in short, i hated all 3. i did enjoy the ufc demo, madden 10, and virtua tennis.

basically games everyone else is hyped about, i couldnt stand. otoh, 3 that probably arent that well received i enjoyed quite a bit.

if you dont like it, you dont like it. it's that simple. i tried to make myself like oblivion back in my 360 days, and no matter how many hours i poured into it, i started hating it that much more

edit: i will say dead space has a freakin siiiiick audio experience

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You think Virtua Tennis, Madden, and UFC aren't well-received?

·
Registered
347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/17046959

You think Virtua Tennis, Madden, and UFC aren't well-received?

couldnt really tell you...though i dont check avs too often, i dont think i've seen threads on either ufc or virtua tennis...madden 10 i have, but that could be due to its recent release.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Well, I don't know about the latest installment, but Virtua Tennis is a bit of a legendary series from the Dreamcast days. Madden '10 and UFC 2009 have both been getting good reviews around the internet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You sound like you have had the same Bethesda experience I had. Sort of.

Back 3-4 years ago when Oblivion came out for PC, I was all hyped from looking at the videos of the shiny forest and the landscapes and such. I had played Morrowind, the prequel to Oblivion, and thought the dark, serious atmosphere and gigantic world was really cool, along with the cool in your face bloom sunset effects and the scary red mountain area with the perpetual windstorms. Hell you get to eventually stab the heart of an evil lord that embodies the mountain itself, or something like that, and the lore and story were grand.

Anyway, I blew $1000+ on a high spec machine just to play OBLIVION, more like mid-budget gaming with an x2 3800+ and 7600GT, enough to run it decently on a 19" 1280x1024 LCD. I assembled the parts, installed the game, and then had a giant headache from buyer's remorse. I couldn't stand the look of the game in person. The environments, the graphics, the color, the faces, the movement, the physics, the music, everything just kind of made me puke. It's hard to describe. Ignoring all these superficial issues aside, the game itself was very bland. Every town looked the same. Every dungeon looked the same. Every character looked the same. Heck, they didn't even bother to vary up the voices, or do any true voice acting. Male orc 1 sounded exactly like male orc 2, without even the slightest bother to vary intonation. Same with pretty much every gender+race combo. The main story was very weak, as well as the sidequests, and there was no real atmosphere or feeling of the coming doom like Morrowind. It just felt really bland and whitewashed. I'm not gonna get into how boring the Gates were. I spent 100+ hours on the game to finish it and beat all the quests, and I didn't enjoy a second of it. I had spent $1000+ for this one game and I'd be damned if I didn't try to get my full money's worth, mods and all.

What also sucked is that when I first got my PS3 and was desperate to find and play something on it that wasn't an FPS, craving something to fix my RPG addiction, I was left with only two options: Enchanted Arms and Oblivion. Well let's just say I've tried Enchanted Arms on my friends Xbox 360 and we both agreed it should have been euthanized before leaving the factory. The only other option was a GOTY Oblivion. In my panic, due to a lack of PS3 games to play, I bought a copy of it, hoping that somehow the PS3 version would have a new shine to it and the console would make it look different through a nice flatscreen TV instead of my previous crappy monitor. Maybe the new included DLC content would bring me back into the game. It was all a BIG mistake. I had paid full price at GameStop (yeah when I said I was desperate to play an RPG, I meant it) and eeked out every last drop of the new DLC content to get my money's worth, but I didn't enjoy any of it one bit. I eventually sold it on eBay.

It was all a bit of a masochistic experience. From my experience with Morrowind, and the excessive hype and excessive praise the game got from various gaming sites, forums, commentors, etc. throughout the few years surrounding its release and afterwards, basically even old granny's and their dogs on Youtube would suggest, I just felt that there was something wrong with me, that it MUST be good, that I MUST be missing something, and that it will eventually all click into place. That day never came and I am a bit wiser now from the experience.

When Fallout 3 was released and I saw the videos, I dreaded another Oblivion experience, but I told myself again to not trust a book by its cover and that Fallout 3, although made by Bethesda and using the same engine, would be a vastly different thing. Being more prudent this time, since I already had a capable console and was walking distance from a Blockbuster, I rented the game one night. I think I spent about two hours before I ran back and shoved the game into the return slot. It really was Oblivion all over again, at least to me. Just a reskinning of characters and environments. The same crappy voices, the same stomach churning look and feel, the same motion sickness movements, the same poorly defined and flat looking faces and environments, made even more bland by the post-apocalyptic setting, the same ragdoll physics, the same fake presentation and fake characters.

Basically, I've given up on Bethesda, at least for this generation if they continue using the same design philosophies and same game engine they've been using for Oblivion and Fallout 3. There's also another company I've officially blacklisted. Bioware. I've tried KOTOR 1, KOTOR 2, Jade Empire, and now more recently, Mass Effect. I'm not going to get into the details of why I don't like any of the games Bioware has made, but I've given it enough thought, and play hours, to come to my conclusion.

In short, you should give the benefit of the doubt to any game that might be universally praised but you don't like. If you know of previous games made by the developer and you know the pedigree well, and the new game looks to continue the same trend, I say judging a book by its cover then would be a very rational decision. However, in order to establish how well you know the pedigree, 30 minutes won't cut it. Give it a fair shot before dropping it, and if you've invested a large portion of your life dedicated to deciding whether you like a game type/genre/developer or not and the same thing comes along again, save yourself the agony and IGNORE IT and everything about it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The main thing for Fallout 3 is the setting/story. If you are not into post apocalyptic stuff and cant stnd RPG style slow character progression, I suggest getting a standard FPS like COD, Battlefield: BC, etc.

Me, Im not an RPG fan, but I love post apocalytpic storys and recently finished reading The Road, and Fallout reminds me of that book, so I grabbed Fallout 3 a couple weeks ago and am really enjoying it. Its not a great FPS, and its not a great RPG. But it mixes the two so well, it is fun and rewarding to keep playing and finding better gear for your character.

Fallout 3 doesnt suck, but its definately not for everyone. If you just need quick action, and only want a game to play 30min or so and put away, this isnt for you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I play FO3 off and on, on my PC. I really hated the environment compared to Oblivion, so I decided to download the greenworld mod. The swords of Oblivion were more fun to use, so added a lightsaber. And for a little something extra, added ability to command a squad. There are always six guys running behind me to do my bidding

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I borrowed Fallout 3 from a friend and hated it.

Then it was on sale for cheap and I bought it. Ended up playing it non-stop and even bothered to get all the trophies (only game I've done this on).

The difference: when I borrowed the game, I rushed through it to try to see what the deal was. When I bought it, I took my time to enjoy, explore, and upgrade. This made all the difference. If you don't take the time, then don't play the game.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/17046900

that Fallout 3 doesn't suck.

I read all the glowing reviews, played both the original PC titles, and rented the current sequel. I was never a fan of the Oblivion title and this is how Fallout 3 came across to me. I really want to like it but the slow movement of the character keeps me from buying it. Was that something I did or is that how it is?

TBH it sounds like you prefer run-and-gun games like COD4 and most FPS. It simply isn't the game for you if that is the case. This is unfortunate because IMO it is one of the best games I have ever played and certainly one of the best if not the best in its genre.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Game was too easy and your decisions didn't matter. You could kill every guard and the next day nobody remembers. I though the game was waaaay overated but at the same time I could see how some people would like it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
First person RPGS are lame. Simple as that.

The decisions were too heavy for me.

In the words of Damon Wayans in In Living Color "Hated It"

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/17048840

You didn't have to play it in first person...

WTF...*Head blows up ala The Pick of Destiny*

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I'd skip Fallout 3. Since you didn't like Oblivion, it sounds to me like you might not like how console-friendly and easy Bethesda's games have gotten. You can run. I'm not sure how much faster you want to move. You can also transport instantly to any location you want. Not quite sure what you mean. The character doesn't move much slower or faster than any other FPS.

My biggest gripe is that you hit the level cap in Fallout 3 at about 30 hours in, at which point the game becomes pointless. I don't understand how people can keep wandering around after that because there's no challenge left. I had been doing side quests and wandering and exploring, but once I hit the level cap, there was no point anymore, so I just finished the game. Once you've maxed your character out, you've got too good of equipment and stat bonuses, so the rest of the game is a breeze and just flies by.

I'm a huge fan of Morrowind (played through twice, both times it took well over 150hours). I enjoyed Oblivion, but it was missing the same open-ness and rich story that made Morrowind so great. But at least I didn't have to worry about some arbitrary level cap ruining the game. Fallout 3 could have been really great. They tried to make the game too digestable to too many people by instituting such an early level cap. Completely ruined the longevity of the game. I haven't touched the DLC because there's no point unless they remove the level cap. Yes, I know that Broken Steel bumped it up a little to level 30, but that's nothing.

·
Registered
795 Posts
By far my favorite game of all time.

I think the environment and idea of the game is probably the coolest imaginable though, so I don't know if that helps. I rented Oblivion when it came out and couldn't get into it at all. Literally played it for like 30 min then returned it. I wonder if I'd like it now. I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts